Problem installing my WD 40 gig, 7.2k, ata 100

sin2

Got it for $99 only.

Usually I can boot from floppy, switch to cd where the win2k is then type winnt and it's done.

I got through all this process, and upon reboot, I get this message "NTLDR not found". I check the drive and NTLDR is there. Is there something that I am not doing that the comp is not recognizing the HD upon reboot?

Also, could someone send me a copy of Smartdrive.exe. I can't find my copy and win2k setup is extrememy slow without it.

Thx

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Can't help you with smartdrive, but I have run into the NTLDR issue before. Usually crops up when you try to install Win98 on a 2000 formatted partition or vice versa. Can you try formatting with Win2k and see if that does the trick? BTW, you have a private message.

sin2

I've figured it out now. I had it formatted to NTFS before installing win2k. Upon reboots, without NTLDR, it can't recognize the file structure. So I've reformatted it fat32 then let win2k convert during setup.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I've had LOTS :mad: of practice here-another option is to format the first partition under 8GB. It should install, then if you choose, use Partition Magic to re-assemble the partition
the NTFS format "should" work too

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It having been formatted to NTFS before installing win2k shouldn't have mattered!

Win2k is supposed to recognize ANY version of FAT or NTFS.

Oh well, that's Microsoft for ya.