preview

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Hey posty. What if i gave you the pages here for the review? be interested? Let me know
NEO

:cool:

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by NEO ]

K

krusty

I'd like to help by getting a13 to check grammar and spelling Posty ... would that be ok?

he did offer and he is a wiz at this.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I was planning the same here first. Heck, I still have to add a few things and a conclusion. :)

glussier

Postcode, you review is pretty good. But you talk about "greater stability" and you never say with what you have compared it with. What type of testing have you done to prove the greater stability of this OS. I don't know, if it is the samething with v7.1, but v7.0 was advertised as kernel 2.4 compatible, but in reality it had 2.2.16, were you able to verify, if 7.1 had in fact kernel 2.4.x? Has the kernel been improved over 2.2.x kernels? because earlier versions of the linux kernels could not do preemtive multitasking.

At the office I am using a combination of Open BSD, HPux, Solaris and win2k (my customers rule). What advantage would I have to replace My Open BSD boxes with Redhat? :)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
It's 2.4. hehe. Sure glussier...make it hard for me now. :) Good advise and well taken. Thanks. I'm going to have to do some work.

glussier

I just upgraded from Mandrake 7.1 to Mandrake 8.0 and it seems to me, that both of these 2 companies are cloning each other. :) For a while I was multibooting (because I have more than 2 os installed) both Redhat6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, and at the time, finally decided to stick with Mandrake as it had better hardware detection/support. But, now it seems that both companies are pretty much at the same level.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Mandrake has had my attention ever since V.7.0 for that very reason. It was very forgiving about the hardware you were using in comparison to RedHat 6.0 at the time. I found the same true in Mandrake 7.1. But I HATED :mad: Mandrake 7.2. I feel they pulled a total MicroSoft and released before it was ready. In their defense I must say they at least did not charge me for the "upgrade" (Microsoft'ese for "bug fix"). So I was disenchanted for a while, but a couple weeks ago when I loaded Mandrake 8.0 I was again in Love :rolleyes:

I do feel that KDE2 has slowed down the GUI noticably. It is very pretty though.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Hey Post,

Just finished a complete read through on your review of RH7.1. Good job. Wish I had seen this before I tried to install RH6.0 as my very first distro. It would have helped. Nice job.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
thanks win4all. Still have to do some tweaking on it though. I'm thinking of just making it a HOW-TO straight up. I seem to have an easier time writing HOW-TO's than reviews. :)

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
:eek: :rolleyes:
My 7 yr old son wanted to pick a couple instant smileys for me. He wants me to find a cool avatar too. So this post is off topic but humor me. :cool: