Please respond: What browser you using & do you have problems with the menu?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I need to know approximately how many users here use browsers that do not like the sliding menu (e.g. displays incorrectly, prematurely pops out), or just do not like/want the menu appearing

List your browser name and version, and if you are having problems/dont want the menu, describe the problems, or why you don't want the menu.

Thanks

<-- IE 5.5 SP1, no problems except the occasional slide-flicker (appears to move to the top of the page then slide back down to the current position) when scrolling

butchsor

Opera 5.11 and I.E.5

I have problem with Opera as mentioned before but I cud handle that except when I forgot to log-in first. :D :D :D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
IE 5.5 no problems, and I've grown quite fond of the sliding menu, so I hope we get to keep it.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Netscape Communicator 4.77 under Linux the menu bar looks strange but the menu functions well.

Mozilla 0.91 under Linux the menu bar looks fine but scrolls out slow and jerky.

Konqueror 2.1.1 under Linux the menu is non-existent.

I am downloading the latest Opera for Linux and will let you know.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info guys (& gals)

wine4all, the script has somewhat of an auto-browser detect that will display the menu only if the browser supports some version of DIVs or LAYERs. This basically means Mozilla, Netscape (4.7-6), and IE 5 and up

Apparently, as Butch pointed out that it prematurely pops out, opera does not support a compatible (read: uniform) Javascript interpreter, so the menu script is all out of whack. So be wary of that effect when you install it.

Hopefully when we move over to vB, it will be able to be set as an option in your user control panel

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Same as wine. But under Mozilla 0.9.1 it's working fine. Duron 700 with 320MB RAM. Mozilla 0.9.1 and NS 4.7 both look fine, Konqueror 2.1.1 doesn't show it, of course, there are a lot of differences between Konqueror and Mozilla. Speed is goood here. Oh and of course, on my Winders box, they look fine.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Konqueror.png

You notice though that Konqueror uses the same tags as IE does when viewing the web site. In the address bar (location) along the top, the icon used by Konqueror is the same used by IE. Mozilla and Nutscape don't know how to use this tag. More and more like Winders every update....

JJR512

I use IE6 beta, and it works like I understand it's supposed to. It pops out when I put the mouse over it. I don't really like it, though. I'm used to zipping my mouse over the screen a certain way, which happens to including moving it through that area. So it's annoying to me.

Personally, I prefer the simple links at the top of the page, like HWC has in their forums (which I stole for mine, and also put at the bottom). In my opinion, the simple links at the top and bottom of the page are much better than the "hop to" pop-up list of forums, and much less annoying than the slide out menu.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Hey I made a post here from school on a Mac and boy oh boy was that weird. I didn't have a lot of time to investigate, but here is what I figured out in about 3 or 4 minutes. The sliding menu-doesn't work all the time. The bottom post reply/start new thread buttons don't work, but the top ones do. If you click on a forum title, there is no link. There is more, but now I can't remember. Oh yeah, one log in link wouldn't let me another on did. And it's os9, I think.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I can't take blame for anything but the side menu not working... I'm probably just going to take it out and put some links along the top. for everything else, your best bet is to wait for VB and hope that works :o

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
IE 5.0 here. Only one problem with the menu, it's on threads that are wider than normal (like this one with the wide pic), the indentation that the menu normally slides along disappears, and it goes over the usernames, AKAs, etc. Small problem, but if you really want to perfect it, you might want to look into it.

S

s4

IE 5.5 with WinMe. I never use the menu, but it seems to work okay. It blocks some of the user names in posts in this thread. It's an interesting concept, but I just don't use it.

For some reason this thread is wider than the others and goes off the side of my screen. There seems to be a layout problem at 800x600 in this thread or at least on my end.

alex

I too am not real fond of the hidden menus. The enviromental audio software that came with my sound card has a hidden menu at the top of the screen that pops out every time i get the mouse close to the top. :mad: