Partition Magic Problem

BigDadday

Everday People
Partition Magic
I have PM 7.0 and went to partition this 20GB hard drive and got a error reading saying ,

error reading

Init Failed error 100

partition table is bad

OK I am hesitant to do a reformat because when I first tried putting this drive in I did a clean install and it would not read above 256 colors? I then copied it from the old hard drive that was in it. Any ideas peeps?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A bad partition table means that PM can't read the drive's contents because the partition table is corrupt. The partition table is what describes how the drive is organized. I think the only way to fix this is to do a reformat.

As for the 256 color limit, what video card are you using, and did you try downloading the latest drivers for it?

BigDadday

Everday People
I have a 16 MB Voodoo3 2000 AGP 3dfx card.And I know how to do a reformat but how exaxctly do you do a fdisk that I hear all talking about?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Fdisk is Microsoft's attempt at a partition manager. It will work for basic partitioning (FAT and FAT32 only, in Win98).

If you're going to install Windows 98, backup all your files first, if you can.

Go into Fdisk, answer Yes when it asks for large disk support (this enables FAT32)

Erase all partitions. If you only have one partition, you only have to remove the primary partition, but if you have more than one partition, you have to remove them in this order: all logical drives in the extended partition, the extended partition itself, then the primary partition. (It's been a while since I used Fdisk so bear with me)

Then you create a new primary partition using all of the available space. It will ask you if you want to make the partition active, you need to do this for the drive to be able to boot. (If it doesn't ask you, you should fish through the menu for the option just to be safe)

After it finishes, and returns to the menu, exit the program and restart the computer. Make sure your Windows CD is in there so you can start it up. Start the computer up with CD-ROM support, but don't go into Windows Setup yet, you need to do the format.

Once you're at the CD-ROM, type E: (or whatever drive letter MSCDEX assigns the drive, it will say it at the top of the screen) and then cd win98

format c: /s

Answer yes.

Then type smartdrv and finally setup

For Windows 2000 and XP, the process is a lot simpler. Make sure any files you can back up off the drive are backed up. Boot to the CD and start Setup. It will eventually get to a screen where you select where to install the drive. Here is where you can delete all current partitions, then create a new one. If you're going to stick with 2k or XP, you'll probably want to use NTFS, instead of FAT/FAT32.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
PM is more featureful; you can have more flexibility and control over your partitions. With it, you have one central location where you can set up your drive with multiple partitions, with each of those partitions being a different file system, and later if you decide to, you can resize those partitions on the fly, among a lot of other things. But if all you want to do is reformat and install Windows 98, with no other operating system, you can do that from Fdisk.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
As for that video card, there is a group called x3dfx that is still writing drivers for Voodoo cards. http://www.x3dfx.com/

Check it out, I think they will probably have a driver that'll work for you.