Oveclockin' FSB in the Duron

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
So it's time to try a little overclocking in my Durie 800. I'm going to buy some 133 Mhz memory in the beginning of the next month. I would like to have your opinnions in what is the best option: rise the FSB to say 112(896 Mhz) keeping the memory at this speed or put 9x multi and set the memory speed to 133? I will be able to rise the FSB without unlocking the chip? Do you think a 12% increase in the BUS speed can f**k my hardware? I have a Blaster Banshee PCI, a Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA, and a Seagate 10 MB 7200 rpm. Thnx.

saltedeggman

I suggest you to raise your Front side bus for more performance gain until your system becomes unstable, then you can maximize the performance by also raising the multiplier.

Yes, you can raise the FSB without modifying the bridges on the CPU.

Well, at 112, your PCI divider should stay at 1/3, meaning your PCI bus is at 37.3. For some hardware, it should be no problem.

Just keep in mind that overclocking can shorten hardware's life.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Just keep in mind that overclocking can shorten hardware's life.

that's right, instead of lasting 23 years it may only last 11

fury

Administrator
Staff member
If your hard drive cannot handle the high FSB, you will likely get a lot of file corruption.

Otherwise go for it.

What kind of memory are you getting? Crucial PC133 CAS2?

If that's what you're getting, you can still use the Host clock + PCI clock option for setting the ram speed, because that ram can handle what speed it will get thrown at it by a 112 (host) + 37 (pci) setting

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Nope, it's hard to find branded memory in Brazil, that's why I questioned what would be better. I would try the FSB thing. Since environment temps are hiting 0º Celsius I think I will not have to worry 'bout cooling, heh :D.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I would say cooling might not be that much of a problem with those kind of ambient temps :eek:

Your memory may be the problem though. If it's not good quality ram, you may not get very high with the FSB. Of course, there are also some exceptions, like my 128 meg stick of 133 CAS3 that reaches 149 at CAS3.

Give the FSB tweaking a shot, but be aware that ram (along with some hard drives) is not very forgiving if you throw too much speed at it, and it could likely corrupt some files.

Justintime

Something
got some sticks of 256MB cas 2 100 RAM that does 150Mhz CAS2 155 CAS3 with around 3.7V I/O - GENERIC :eek:
also few old PC66 32 and 64MB Hyundai RAM that does 133 at cas2 (3.4V I/O) and even up to 145Mhz CAS2 (3.8 I/O) and 150 CAS3 (3.8 I/O) with a