NFL & the non-story

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
How can such a huge sporting event have so few talking? I only heard of the possiblity on Thursday before the Sunday games. Even after the fact, it's reported with little fanfare. Is Emmitt on the NFL shit list or something?

Smith breaks Payton's NFL's career rushing record
By STEPHEN HAWKINS
AP Sports Writer
October 28, 2002

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Emmitt Smith never considered leaving Texas Stadium without the NFL's career rushing record. He even dressed for the occasion.

Smith went through four No. 22 jerseys during his historic game Sunday. But under them all he kept on the same white T-shirt, one with his image on the Dallas Cowboys star logo, the phrase ``All Time'' and the number 16,727 -- a yard more than the late Walter Payton had.

With an 11-yard run in the fourth quarter against the Seattle Seahawks that was classic Emmitt, he became No. 1.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah I hear this morning that people were complaining about the post-game "show" he had. Sweetness didn't do that. Sorta like the Terrell Owens thing but on a much higher scale.

Maybe he had a concussion? :confused: ;) Go Birds!

HeXp£Øi±

bloody
I don't think most people thought of emmitt as a 'great' runningback. Like this year many people didn't have a clue who Barry Bonds was. Maybe it's just that people don't pay attention to sports the way the used to. I've had my eye on Emmit though ever since Eric Dickerson retired.(Who the hell is Eric Dickerson?)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Dickerson, Herschel Walker & Barry Sanders are far more entertaining runners. If Barry hadn't had a hissy fit, my money would be on him. Emmitt, while not the dazzling exciter of the above, was & is a workhorse. He's earned this position the hard way. Lots of 4-6 yard runs & a whole bunch of nasty hits. He deserves some appreciation.

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
We all miss him terribly. I listened to the radio show where he announced his life threatening liver disease. :( :cry: