Network performance problem?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if this is just because it is acting as the "server" so to speak, but Windows XP is acting really, really, really slow to browse through the network places, until it gets directly into my brothers' (2k) computer.

I click on Network Places, then Entire Network and it takes about 20 seconds to display anything, then I go to Windows Network, and it takes another 20 seconds, then I click on Workgroup, another 20 seconds, and then I can finally get into my brothers' computer and from then on, it's nice and speedy, until I get back out of their computer.

I tried the same thing from their computer and it took just 20 seconds to go from clicking Network Places to finding a file underneath a long list of folders in my computer.

PuterTutor

Don't know, I have the same thing between mine though, Got XP on my wifes machine, and 2k on mine, and hers takes forever to browse, where mine does it really fast. Think it's something in XP.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
sorry guys its pretty common for xp to be that way. Dont really know why but at work no matter what i do its the same. I have checked and double checked all the settings and they match to the letter with the 2000 machines. drives me crazy....

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I don't have a choice then, huh? :retard:

Oh well, I created a shortcut to my brothers' computer right on the desktop so I guess it doesn't really matter anyway.

systembuilder

Folding@home
its protocol and authentication thing with pro cause have same lag you have -- but with xp home i have no lag -- figure that pro is for networks and has to do a lot more authentication type stuff