Netscape 4.78

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Despite the "SmartDownload" program not having been so smart and tried to take up 100% of my CPU time (can't have that! :smash: ) every now and then while downloading it, Netscape 4.78 so far is pretty cool :cool:

I got fed up with IE and it screwing up a 25 meg download THREE TIMES. First time, it downloaded 20 megs, stopped, and said it was complete. Second attempt didn't resume, and instead went on to download 18.5 megs, stop, and say it's complete. Third attempt didn't resume either, and went to 24 megs, stopped, and said it was complete. :screwyou: :screwyou: :screwyou:

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I use Download Accelerator, but there's also Getright and whatnot. I was actually assigned to a project about a year ago of reviewing DA, GetRIght, and Gozilla for the company I was working for based on speed, file size, and ease of use.

Download Accelerator came out on top. There's no reason to use the default download utility on a browser when there's specialized apps for that.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
There's no reason to use specialized apps or IE to download when Netscape does it just fine :smash:

I downloaded the entire 25 meg file faster than I would've gotten it done in IE, and without any download interruptions occur because the program (at least the download part) was written RIGHT.

I downloaded a 65 meg file from Gamespot faster than I would've gotten it in IE, and every time I did have to resume (the server stalled the download occasionally... they were probably being overburdened by the large demand for the file) Netscape did it PERFECTLY each and every time.

I don't think I ever would've managed to download it with IE, and I didn't even have to install spyware-filled apps on my computer! :grin:

flavio

superfly
Staff member
There's no reason to use specialized apps or IE to download when Netscape does it just fine

No that's not true the apps download a single file from multiple sources vastly improving download speeds. Even when downloading from a single source (rarely happens) DA can make multiple sessions.

These apps obviously have other features Netscape or IE doesn't as well. I'm mainly into it for the speed though.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
DAP is a good program if you're on broadband, but it's not really any good for dialuppers, because usually any server has more than 6k per second of bandwidth remaining which is plenty to feed a good 56k connection. If the server doesn't have that much bandwidth left, well then the server admin is gonna have a field day with the ISP :smash: