Movies in the park

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
Today is my son's birthday - he turns 12 ... He wants basically the same kind of party we had for him last year: movies in the courtyard (between my house, ku'u's house, and ku'u's mother-in-law's house) and dinner outside. This year he wants spaghetti, salad, bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, candles in brown paper bags, table cloths, and a movie projected on the wall. Haven't decided on the movie yet, but knowing him, it'll have something to do with magic, spells, and there definitely has to be a cauldron somewhere.

Geez... the eldest son is 16, driving, and going to graduate next year. The middle child is on the verge of teendom. The youngest is 10 going on 15 ... it's official. I am old. BUT, according to my kids, I'm still the coolest mom EVER :D

unclehobart

this is my special title
Last year was Willow. I would suggest the Dark Crystal for this year ... but being a 20 year old film, I'm sure hes never heard of it. I would suppose that the momentum would be behind Harry Potter for this year.

Squiggy

Whatever happened to The Black Cauldron? It played in theaters about 20 years ago and I haven't heard of it since

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
unclehobart said:
Last year was Willow. I would suggest the Dark Crystal for this year ... but being a 20 year old film, I'm sure hes never heard of it. I would suppose that the momentum would be behind Harry Potter for this year.

holy cow - I just finished typing a whole response and it just disappeared :(

anyway, I'm surprised that you remember the movie we played last year, unc- I'm impressed. :)

Dark Crystal would be perfect, but I don't think it's out on DVD. He's seen it a long time ago, but I don't think he quite remembers it. If it's not on DVD, I think I'll opt for The Never Ending Story - I love that movie and even though it's his birthday, it's all about what me and ku'u wanna watch :D The Harry Potter thing would be alright except he's seen it a million and one times so it wouldn't be that 'special'.

unclehobart

this is my special title
Y'know.. Ive neer seen the Neverending Story all the way through. You should have invited me. :D I love the spirit of death masked as a demon wolf ... kick ass! I wonder how they would react to something like the Princess Bride.

greenfreak

Very cool Na :) You always make me jealous, I never had such things growing up. Parties, yeah, but never that cool!

I know it's an oldie and not very "cool" but when I think witches, I think Wizard of Oz. :) Ever see The Craft? I thought it was ok, but probably not for 12 year olds :D

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
never ending story or princess bride would be awsome. So would either lord of the rings.
so you guys comming up on thursday and we can have movie night? just tell me what movies and ill be sure to have it one way or the other by movie time. :)

alex

Time for him to learn about the birds and the bees.....Debbie does Dallas or Deep Throat should suffice.

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
So, we settles with the Dark Crystal and the Lion King - The Never Ending Story was out at Blockbuster and since he was a toddler, he loved the Lion King and I think he was feeling a bit nostalgic for his younger days :D We have the Princess Bride and that's one of their favs. I haven't let them watch the Craft yet but they have seen Warlock and like that a lot. It was nice - we had tea light candles in brown paper bags all over the courtyard and driveway and ate by candlelite while watching the movie. The bread and vinegar and oil kept flowing on all the tables - it was nice. Ku'u folks gave him candles (his favorite), one of his friends gave him an electronic dictionary (very useful) and my cousin folks gave him a wang - but not just any wand, a wand created by Pele. They went to the volcano yesterday and there was a piece of wood, all twisted at the base coming up to a pointy tip - it was a perfect gift.

Tonight we're pulling out my futon couch and a bunch of sleeping bags for the ground and we're watching Coming to America and *thinking* I forget .. one more movie, but I can't remember which one. Y'all are invited - you too, unc but I know you're not available ;) it's potluck and BYOB. 7pm. the Family Compound, Hilo. Don't be late ;)

Squiggy

"...gave him a wang..." ??? na, you HAVE to start proof reading...:D

Sounds like ya did it again...You're one hella Mom :hug:

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
nalani said:
unclehobart said:

holy cow - I just finished typing a whole response and it just disappeared :(

anyway, I'm surprised that you remember the movie we played last year, unc- I'm impressed. :)

Dark Crystal would be perfect, but I don't think it's out on DVD. He's seen it a long time ago, but I don't think he quite remembers it. If it's not on DVD, I think I'll opt for The Never Ending Story - I love that movie and even though it's his birthday, it's all about what me and ku'u wanna watch :D The Harry Potter thing would be alright except he's seen it a million and one times so it wouldn't be that 'special'.

yes it is. i have it on dvd. its kind of rare but findable. happy b-day to your son. and if your the coolest mom isnt that contradictory to being old ;)

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
:D @ "wang" ... at least you all knew what I meant .. :p

Last night was great - we watched "the Goonies", "Final Destination 2" and "2Fast, 2 Furious" ... one of our friends made sushi, I made fried saimin, ku'u made miso soup, and another of our friends made chicken and broccoli. We had popcorn, arare (moch crunch), candy, ice cream, and every other comfort you can think of at a movie theater .. and we laid about outside on sleeping bags and futons on the ground, watching movies. Good times.

kuulani

yup, very good times ... so good, in fact, that i had to drag my too tired butt out of bed this morning *yawn*

*still wants to watch Coming to America*

And who would've thought that Labrynth would be out at Blockbusters. What are the chances that some other phreak would want to watch that movie too?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
so do you girls have like a big screen tv, or a projector to do the viewing?

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
we have a projector and a computer and we shoot the image on the wall of the my aunty's house ... we use speakers for the surround sound action ... it's pretty great .. we need to have those moments more often. Definitely cheaper and funner than going to the movies.