Motherboard suggestions?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
It's time to begin planning the next upgrade, that should take place in nomore than 5 months. What's the price/perfomance, best chipset by now? Any experiences you'll like to share?

greenfreak

I've had problems with an incompatibility with my old mobo (ABit KT7A-RAID) and my ATA100 hard drives. I finally bit the bullet and got a new mobo a few weeks ago from New Egg. I can't say too many good things about them, love the company. This is what I got:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProdu...talog=22&manufactory=1315&description=A7N8X-X

I was looking for something that wasn't going to require a lot of other hardware upgrades. I went with Asus because of the name, I don't do no-names anymore. I had to buy different RAM because I was using SDRAM and the one stick of 512mb non-ECC PC3200 Crucial ram cost more than the mobo itself. But no problems yet (knock on wood) so I'm happy so far.

I've also bought a Soltek Intel P4 board from them which is now in Rusty's pc.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
From what I've been reading, I shall not go to Athlon 64 yet. Too much uncertainty (?) for now, and some people believe there won't be a progress greater than 25% in processor power this year. Hell my Duron is 2 1/2 years old and still runs every game that I bought...
I noticed a lot of people going with nForce chipsets also. Let me ask you Trish: do youuse the onboard audio on that board? Is good enough?

greenfreak

I don't use it because I already had a decent card. I'll be honest, a good set of speakers is more important to me than a good card. I would have liked to have integrated video too just in case my card ever broke but you can't have everything. :shrug: