Monopoly or Jeopardy

S

s4

I think MS completely ignored what had been ruled and went right ahead with their same marketing strategies bundling software built into the os like before and will continue to do so unless they are broken up. The big question is whether this is good for consumers. :confused:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
My biggest question is, if the OS system writers don't bundle a browser, how would you get one? I don't know code to write one.

S

s4

They could always put it on the cd as an optional program to install instead of installing it automatically. The big problem is that programs like office require ie to be installed before they will. Many programs are integrated with ie. MS would have to redesign most of their products.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Bundling and integrating are two very different things

Bundling, I would have no problem with whatsoever, as I would have the option to install the browser.

In fact, I think Internet Explorer is a pretty good browser, if not for the occasional (read: constant) crashing and bugginess.

But the problem I have with it is that it is force-fed to me like a baby that doesn't want to eat that nasty, slimy, green baby food. I am never given the option to uninstall it or define how it is installed (e.g. what components of it I do or do not want), and it is opened every time I browse a folder on my drives. With all the security risks IE has, browsing the hard drive inherently has all the same risks.

The original Explorer shell from win95 and 95a was actually a bit slower in directory listings than Netscape or IE, and MS moving to using the web browser method of listing sped it up a bit. That is, as soon as the computer was done opening the rest of the web browser and processing the animated window opening effect, the gradient titlebar, the spinning Windows/World icon, the smooth scrolling, the text anti-aliasing, and that @!#(%&@#$ annoying CPU hungry left column, all of which are turned ON by default and have no use other than making pretty effects.

98lite is good and when its shellswap option (swapping out a few files from windows 95) works, I get a snappier, more stable system, less memory usage, and keep the good features of 98 (fat32, usb, agp, etc). But the point is, I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party product just to make the OS stable and cut the umbilical cord between 98se and IE.

As I get a bit more experience with Linux, I am more and more looking forward to an opportunity to use it, because it gives me about a billion times more control than 98