Mitsubishi Mirage prob #2

Professur

Mushroom at large
This morning the brake and battery dash lights came on at about half power. They stay on all the time, and brighten slightly if I brake or pull the hand brake.

Any Ideas?

Professur

Mushroom at large
Well, whatever it is, it just became terminal. As I was driving home tonight, I noticed the tacho starting to jump. Then I noticed that the clock was getting dimmer. True to form, she got me into my driveway before she gave up. God I love that car.

anyone wanna take bets on it being the Alt?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I'll take the alternator and whats behind door number two. What do I win?

Deanril

YES!!!!! Alternator took a dump........sorry was on vacation for a week couldnt answer .....import alt......$150-$300 or so .......sorry : )

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Chalk up another one for the Alternator

A similar situation occurred with dad's car. We were going for pizza and suddenly all the panel lights (clock, radio) turned really dim, so he pulled over, shut off the car, and messed with the battery. eventually the car started back up and we were on our way again. I noticed a few minutes later that half of the clock display was dimmed, and he pulled the car over into a parking lot and shut the car off again. This time it didn't start back up. Well, after a jump start, the car started again and he took it over to the auto shop. They eventually got around to finding what was wrong with it, and it'll cost several hundred dollars :o

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
HELL-OOOOO I correctly diagnosed the alternator first...what do I get?

V

VictorP

Have that pesky alternator tested at your local auto parts shop. If correct, buy new one. If not, have car diagnosed by professional. No sense expending unnecessarily expensive cashflow on wrong item. Take it from me, VictorP. I am a most unprecidented, congenial garage mechanic.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Luckily, I just happen to have a spare alt that I scavenged from my previous Mirage. Unluckily, it was at the cottage, so I had to wait until today to get it. Tomorrow I'll install it and confirm all your suspicions. But any ideas why the brake light came on too?

V

VictorP

Check fluid levels. Also, check pressure of pedal. Have professional check it if any doubts are present.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Vic, with all due respect, I'd trust a politician more than the average mechanic. The only time I ever take my car in to a shop is when I either don't have the tools to do it myself, or I am totally at a loss as to the problem. And I always stay with the car. The last time I left a car at a shop, they didn't even get the wheel nuts on right.

Deanril

Actually alot of imports ,the brake light comes on aswell ,when the alt goes..........so you have charge light and brake light on .....Maybe so you pay attention ,I dont know the exact reason.
Buts its a dead giveaway when you see both on.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Well, the alt was dead, and thanks to the powersteering pump, my old one didn't fit. So I got one from a scrap yard. Installed it, charged the battery, and everything seemed fine. Then the battery died again. So I took the alt back (figuring it was a dud) and got another one. Installed it, charged the battery,and everything seemed fine. Well, on the way to work this morning, I noticed the tacho flicking. First reflex, I turned off everything pulling juice (the radio) and didn't I hear something coming from the speakers still. A whistle. A whistle that varied pitch WRT the RPMs. Damn, Damn, Damn. Looks like I've got a ground out somewhere. Damn, Damn, Damn.

BTW she got me to work before dying again.

Professur

Mushroom at large
update: Yup, I had a groud out all right. The replacement alt has a fan on it, which the others lacked, and is slightly larger. It was, therefore, slightly closer to the wiring harness. You guessed it. Chewed wiring. Looks like I've got some work ahead of me.:(

Question for the informed: I've three wires from the alt. One (8AWG) obviously goes to the battery. What are the others for? (2x14-16AWG). I'd like to replace them too, while I'm at it.

Inkara1

Yeah, I'd venture to guess they go to an external regulator if your car has one. What do the wires connect to on the other side?