Memory

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Basically, it's speed, pin structure, and bandwidth.

PC100 - 164 pin DIMM, meant to run at a front side bus speed of 100 MhZ.

PC133 - 164 pin DIMM, meant to run at a FSB of 133 MhZ.

DDR RAM - 184 pin Dimms. These run at either 100 Mhx (PC 1600) or 133 MhZ (PC2100), but they transmit data on both the up and down sides of the clock cycles. This means that PC2100 DDR (Running at 133 Mhz) should perform like regular 164 pin DIMMs at 266 MhZ.

RAMBUS (RDRAM) - Patented and more expensive RAM, used exclusively in Intel systems. Very high speed and bandwidth, but performance doesn't necessarily justify the price tag, and the need to go Intel (Personal opinion on that last).

PC100 was the first really fast stuff to come out, and was quickly followed by PC133, which was the defacto standard for awhile.

Then Intel decided to go almost exclusively RDRAM, and DDR was brought out as a lower cost competitor. AMD is using DDR in many of its newer configurations, and Intel is now looking to go the same route. DDR has been used in high end graphics cards for quite some time now.

Bored yet? :D

Inkara1

I always thought that PC100 was certified to run at 100MHz without crashing and PC133 was certified to run at 133MHz without crashing, and other than that both are identical to standard PC66 SDRAM. I do know that PC100 and PC133 are backwards compatible.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Dead right, Inky. Most of us have, at one time or another, run PC100 at 133, too. Forget stability, gimme speed!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
PC66/100/133 are basically the same ram chips only better manufacturing processes.

DDR is very similar to PC66/100/133, except like HomeLAN said, it transmits twice in each clock cycle. This theoretically gives a 2x performance increase over a similarly clocked 164-pin (PC66/100/133) chip. However, that is not always the case.

Rambus is a stick that Intel crapped on and labelled RDRAM :rolleyes: (actually, it's just what HomeLAN said, again.)

I wouldn't waste my money on Rambus at all. Maybe I'd accept it as a free gift in a contest, but no WAY I'm going to shell out for that crap.

I haven't tried DDR ram yet, but I'd like to. Anyone care to donate? :D

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Jeez, man, Crucial is selling the stuff at $26 with free 2nd day air for 128 meg. Go buy some!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
care to lend me a DDR board so I have a reason?

/fury/grins/refreshbiggrin.gif

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Eh, no!

But even those are getting affordable. You could get a Gigabyte DDR board for around $120. So, $170 would get ya a mobo with 256 MB crucial 2100 DDR RAM.