Maintance

Deanril

You want to save yourself money in the LONG run??? Just do the prescribed maintance and you will.......

Change oil every 3000 miles if you mostly in town driver ,every 5000 if you are a freeway driver,the in town drivers oil will get contaminated quicker because car doesn't get opened up like the freeway driver ,and burn off the contaminants.Dont use Quaker state or penzoil ,because this stuff cakes up the inside of the motor bad and does more harm then good.Both are from Pennsylvania ,and have this waxy substance in them that just sludges up the motor bad.They use to say the waxy substance was good ,and it is ,but it has this bad side effect.

gtx_hero.jpg

Change that AutoTrans fluid ,It all depends on mileage ,or appearance of trans fluid ,but if its red ,its good ,if brown/red it needs changing ,brown it REALLY needs changing .A new Auto Trans or rebuild is usually $1000-$2000 ,and a service once a year ect is like $80 ,and will make tranny last long time..
Dexron-III-MerconL.jpg

Coolant.... check it ,change it at least once a year along with the thermostat ,rusty coolant will eat away at your motor and gaskets resulting in $$$$$$ from your pocket .Heater cores ,headgaskets ,water pumps $$$$$ change it and make the parts last longer.The coolant has lubricants for the parts and gaskets that prevent damage and corrosion KEEP IT GREEN!
anti.gif

Air Filter,Spark Plugs ,Plug wires ,Fuel Filters PCV Valve.Keep them in good shape do not neglect these parts
spbot.gif

Air filter will cost you more money in gas ,so change it its like $15 at most.

Spark Plugs are $1-$5 at most ,15000 miles change them ,if you don't you will stress the primary ignition components (Ignition module,pickup,computer ect...)and to diagnose and replace is big $$$$$ not mention being stuck somewhere with a no-start condition ,also better gas mileage,don't neglect.

Spark Plug wires same deal ,stress the primary ignition system ,change them around every 75000 miles.

Fuel Filters ,change them around every 30000 or every other tuneup(spark plugs) it will stress the fuel pump and cause it to fail prematurely ,most are very expensive and are in the tank ,so labor is a lot as well....

PCV Valve about every 30000 ,it actually among other things helps let those contaminants out of the motors oil and lets it burn through the engine.Dont neglect like $4

CVBoots......if you see its cracked and leaking grease don't wait till later ,the boot and labor is typically $70-$90 ,if you wait the grease will run out and your Wheel bearing wont have the ability to cool ,and you will loose a wheel bearing among other things ,and front wheel drive wheel bearing are expensive ,labor and bearing .
rippedbootsonjoint.jpg

Belts inspect for cracks and wear,loose that serpentine belt and your on the side of the road in the freezing cold!
bltdrive.gif

Tires..........keep inflated to spec .gas mileage is optimum with correct tire pressure.
comp_ta_vr4.gif

Power steering fluid ....about once a year I take mine out with a sucker and put new fluid back in ,so far my car hasn't needed any repairs to the whole system ,rack,pump lines etc. ,and its a FORD!
GT-PowerSteeringFluidL.jpg

Axles change that fluid about every 60000 miles and you will extend their life along ways.
Hypoy_Gear_Oil_L.jpg

Manual Trans fluid about every 60000 as well.

The most neglected BUT most important fluid is the Brake fluid ,about every 2 years flush system completely.When I do a brake job I just crack the bleeder and refill the reservoir once and that's it ,all done very easy.If brake fluid gets old it gets water loged typically and corrodes all your brake parts and cause leaks ,also will make brake fluid become Gaseous when it gets hot .........well Gaseous compresses ,and liquid does not ,so hit those brakes with old fluid when they get a little hot ,and the pedal is going to floor as it compresses the gaseous gases.

GT-LMA-Brake--FluidL.jpg

Maintain that vehicle and save big $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the long run ,and don't be stuck out in the cold

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reminder there Dean...:D I gotta get some winterizing done.

Kruz

Staff member
OR you could do what I do... Trade 'em in every 2-3 years and NEVER do any Maintance:D

jopes

Your Nightmare
Dean I am gonna have to agree on everything but the tranny fluid.

If not changed regularly the detergents in the new fluid will break apart sludge within the tranny and clog up the tiny orafices that autos use.

Either do it every 30k miles or forget about it until your tranny is cooked. I have heard alot of poeple buy a used car and go thru it. changeing all the fluids then 1-3 months later their tranny is not shifting correctly.

And if you do any hard work. Towing, 4x4, heavy cargo loads. the fluids should be changed more frequently.

You also forgot about repacking wheel bearings! These must not be left unforgotten. If they are, when they go you can actually loose a tire off of that axle. Not somethign pretty when driving 70mph down the highway.

Wiper blades replace once a year.

Rotate tires every 7500 miles or so.

be sure to check the pressure on the spare when your checking the rest of them.

As you and I both know there probably is more to this list than we have already.

Inkara1

Honda owners should note that Hondas take a proprietary power steering fluid.

I change the engine oil every 3K (I use Castrol GTX 10W-30), but I haven't changed the tranny oil. It's a 5-speed manual that takes engine oil, I believe either 30 weight, or 10, or 10W-30 (I have a Haynes manual and it says which). To check the level, you have to undo a plug on the side and stick your finger in there to see if you feel oil. It had oil up to the right level in July 2000. I'll probably check it again soon just to be sure, but I'm wondering how often the oil would need to be changed in a 20-year-old manual gearbox.

Deanril

Wheel bearings fall under BRAKES!!!!!!

When you service the front brakes then you service the rotors thus packing the bearings ,and 75% now are sealed like the Professor's.

As for Inkari's 5 spd.....yeah those are a bitch to refill to ,you will need a pump to pump the new oil in or a funnel with a long tube.

Some take ATF some take 30 weight ,some take 10w 30 ,some take gear oil 50 w ,all different for hondas.

jopes

Your Nightmare
My tranny and Tcase both take 90/140wt. I changed the gear box but not the Tcase yet.

As far as wheel bearings go. How many brake shops actually service those wheel bearings when most of todays fwd cars the rotors pull right off after removeing the calaper. And drums are pretty much the same way now. Pull the tire and you can pull the drum off with out even touvhing the bearings.

Now Brakes on the front of my bronco are another thing.

Get out the hammer and bearing grease.