mac linux

S

s4

I've got all the stuff I need to put Debian on the mac. There is a version called "Potato" that is supposed to work. Now all I need is some ambition and brains which may be both lacking in quantities right now.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Be sure and check the harware requirements by model number. Not all Performa's are the same. I was looking for one for my Mom's Performa and wanted to use Yellow Dog but her particular model was not supported.

S

s4

I'm gonna find out later today if it will work.

I downloaded the Mac os 7.5 free from Apple just in case. Does Microsoft ever put their old os's out for free? No, they hoard 'em like the government used to save cheese.

S

s4

Nope still didn't get it done. I started to but found that this is one of the few macs with an ide hard drive. The mac utility for partitioning is not designed for that, but I found another program that might do it.:eh:

S

s4

I checked the LinuxPPC website, and this mac will not run on it. In fact, their site refers me to the site where I found Debian:
Many 68020 (with PMMU and FPU), 68030 and 68040 machines can run Linux. Visit http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org for more information.

As it turns out, I also found another site that says this mac can run UNIX: http://users.erols.com/ewinkler/

Now, I'm not sure what to do. Install Debian or NetBSD? I wonder if either can run X after installing them. I'd love to install KDE on this machine but have my doubts about it working. I even have doubts about installing linux or unix.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Check out Yellow Dog Linux if you haven't already. The one that I downloaded for my Mom's was MkLinuX but she sold the Mac and got an IMac before I had a chance to try it.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Hey Posty...
MkLinuX has a cool penguin you might want as an avatar...

dpenguin.gif

S

s4

The mac is history. I gave it to some guy. I was getting mac-tantrums.:smash:

S

s4

On top of that, I took Windows off my Athlon last night and installed Mandrake 7.