Lycoris Linux Review

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Back in January, Redmond Linux changed their name to Lycoris. Linux Orebit has since done a review of this distribution. Check it out here.

Lycoris Linux

I'm trying to find a location to download it from myslef. From what I understand, this distribution will pretty much setup Samba for you during the install process and your network as well. This should be a nice little added bonus for anyone with a home network. Windows 95 systems may have to have some tweaking done to the default smb.conf file but we'll see.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
This proggy is very nice, user friendly. I have been involved with it since its beta days. I think i still have all the revisions on disk somewhere

S

s4

Have you tried it? (The new one.) Sounds interesting, but I don't know...

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Yes i have the final version with the games download. Runs nice. I havent tried the networking yet.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Yeah. Pulling it down now. 82% so far. I'm going to install it on my 10 gigger I got layin' around. I'm interested to see how the Samba setup runs.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Well, I installed it. Looks good. Checked out the network browser real quick. The only directory I could actual access without KDE throwing an error at me was the admin directory, better known as c:\winnt. hehe I thought that was rahter odd. Supposedly this thing is locked down tight. The daemans running were limited though so that's good. No ftp, etc.. However, I wasen't impressed with how it installed. It gave me no choice at all as to what it was going to install. Pretty screwed up really. What happens when a user has a CDRW like myself and no software to use with it? Another was the background. Oh man, talk about cheesy. XP or Linux? Other than that, it ran fine. It's just limited in the number of apps that are loaded.

I haven't installed any other software yet so we'll see how that all goes.