Loads of problems...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I got my Athlon XP 1800+. :headbang:

I cleaned the thermal pad off the heatsink real good with rubbing alcohol and all, and applied an even coating of Arctic Silver 3 to both the CPU die and the heatsink, making sure not to actually touch it with my finger (I used the back of the Athlon XP sticker to apply it, which seemed smooth enough)

I shut down the computer, took the old heatsink off (which was blazing hot) of the KT7a, and pulled out the T-bird 1.2 @ 1.33.

Then I put the XP in the socket, followed by installing the heatsink with the aid of a flat head screwdriver.

I crossed my fingers, and turned it on, then realized I forgot to plug in the fan. I ALWAYS do that! :banghead: It shut itself off pretty quickly, so that's pretty cool, and then I plugged the fan in, and powered it up.

Went into the bios to reset the config, as it was reading as an Athlon 1150. I set the CPU definition to XP 1800+, and the voltage to the minimum (which, due to a screwed up voltage regulator, gets bumped up by about .65 volts, turning out a result of the default 1.75 when set at 1.1), and everything else was left on the tweaked position.

I started up Windblows, and when it got to the desktop and was about to start Genome up, it rebooted itself. So I went into the bios and upped the voltage to 1.15 (1.8) and tried again. Same thing, only at a different point in the boot. So I went into the bios and upped to 1.2 (1.85). Same thing. I upped the I/O voltage to 3.5 before it would even get into windows without crashing. I'm assuming that my board being defective has to do with that.

Then when I got it all situated to where I was starting to install the 3dmarks, I encountered another problem. 3dmark2000 installed fine, but when 3dmark2001 installation initiated the texture conversion, the system locked up.

I went into the BIOS and turned off some insignificant AGP tweaks (fast writes, 1WS read/write), and set the AGP Aperture to 64 from 256

That allowed me to install 3dmark2001.

Then when I went to run 3dmark2000, the computer rebooted itself again. So I tried turning off AGP 4x, and it allowed it to start. When I ran the default benchmark, a few seconds into the first demo, it locked up.

I tried setting the AGP Drive control manually to "EA", which is the most successful drive control setting that I've experienced in the past, and it still locked up.

So I tried decreasing the memory timing to Fast (from Turbo)

I'm starting to run out of ideas :(

Anyone else have any experiences like this with a KT7a 1.1 updated to bios 7n?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Does your BIOS turn iff at a certain temp. That's been part of my problem. At X degrees, it auto reboots.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The temp so far has been much cooler than my T-bird ever ran at, so I don't think it's a heat issue. Even then, my KT7a doesn't have a heat shutdown feature. It will only shut down if the fan has been disconnected, and even that can be disabled.

Normally when I upgrade the CPU I don't have to reinstall the OS, that was the case when I went from a K6-2 350 to a 500, from a Duron 700 to a T-bird 1200, and it shouldn't be the case for the T-bird 1200 to the XP 1533.

Although it does seem like the OS is overdue for a reinstall anyway. But I just did this a couple months ago :(

leslie

I know nothing and don't take my word for anything, but doesn't random reboot usually mean a bad stick of ram? :confuse3:

Justintime

Something
whats the power supply? though an XP1800+ should not suck much more than a 1.33 T bird, might just be over the limit. Systembuilder, a processor change is no need for a reinstall.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The PSU is 400w, so even if I had a monster peltier on there, it wouldn't be breaking a sweat.

Leslie, actually in most cases, that would be the first thing I think of, but this is a special incident where my version of the KT7a is not designed to work stably with the Athlon XP.

The thing eventually stopped booting, so I had to stick my T-bird 1.2 @ 1.33 back in. Thanks for trying everyone, but I'll just have to wait until I can afford a nice 512mb stick of DDR.

Justintime

Something
ack that sucks, all my attempts with non v1.3 KT7A's worked fine, guess the defect in your board dosen't help matters.

systembuilder

Folding@home
true Justintime a change of cpu dosnt always mean reinstall of the os, but i have found if i reinstall the os it runs smoother
as it will make the code changes that are need when it builds the win com file

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 2000 doesn't have a win.com. It's a completely different kernel, built up from the ground as a 32-bit OS. DOS does not exist. :p

Consequently, it's also more of a pain to reinstall. :(

Justintime

Something
fury said:
Windows 2000 doesn't have a win.com. It's a completely different kernel, built up from the ground as a 32-bit OS. DOS does not exist. :p

yup,

Why is it a pain to install? ain't your disc bootable?

systembuilder

Folding@home
Justintime said:
fury said:

yup,

Why is it a pain to install? ain't your disc bootabe?

opps my bad wrong os:confused: sorry i spend a lot of time repairing 9x systems and wasnt thinking:retard:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Justintime said:
fury said:

yup,

Why is it a pain to install? ain't your disc bootable?
It's bootable, the problem is that it takes 20 minutes to boot from the disk because it keeps wanting to search for a floppy, which I don't have.

It happens even on 9x, but at least it's halfway into starting the actual install when it tries to search for a floppy and I don't have to babysit it (cause it'll continue with the install after it's done searching if i don't touch it for 30 seconds)