Laptop Dual Boot

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I just ordered a 20GB HDD for my sons laptop. I intend to dual boot win98 / Linux. Does anyone know of an adapter or cable I can use to put the current and new drive onto a single ide channel as naster / slave and clone the current drive into the first partition? Or is there an adapter for pluggin a 2.5" drive into a desktop box to clone it over the home network?

I, of course, will run Mandrake 7.1 or 8.0 on the second partition. I only have a 333mhz cpu and 64MB ram. What do you think Posty? 7.1 or 8.0?

glussier

On a 333, I would go with Mandrake 7.1. There are companies who sells external adaptors for 2.5" drives which connects to the // port of a computer.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I installed Mandrake on my laptop this weekend. I ended up using 8.0 because 7.1 could not recognize the partitions created by the Ontrack disk overlay I had to use since the BIOS could not recognize more than 8GB. But, to my suprise, the performance is not bad at all and, to enhance it further, I ordered a pair of 64MB DIMM's to give me a total of 128MB. I did play with some of the other window managers and found that IceWM gives the best performance but is clunkier to use than KDE although you can use all the KDE and GNOME apps with it.

The install was totally painless with the exception that it did not recognize the ESS sound card on the laptop MOBO. I contacted a guy on the web who did get the sound to work on his UMAX 333T using ALSA drivers. Guess I just have to play with it some more.

God I LOVE Mandrake!