Lamest of the lame & best of the best

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
What was the lamest gift you ever gave someone? I mean, it seamed great at the time and then as soon as you gave it to them, you just wanted to smack yourself and go "why did I do that???"

Me? Well .. it was a mixed CD ... songs that reminded me of a certain person ... I made it and gave it .. then realized how completely girly that was of me ... actually, I knew it was girly when I gave it, but after time went on I just began to think it was '16 year-old girly' of me ... silly, I know ...

ok .. so 'fess up y'all ..

and what about the best gifts given? for me it would have to be the Beers of the World I gave to ku'u for Christmas a few years back .. and last year I made a video tape of my entire family with a tribute to my father. (I interviewed them over Thanksgiving without telling them why) and gave a copy to each and every one of them, including my family in Texas. This year they're getting my love for Christmas LOL

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
got my sister some batman earrings cause she was a fan of teh movie. hmmm best. ive gotten some friends stuffed animals that they love,got my mom a sweater that she likes and dvds for dad. not sure which one would constitute teh best

greenfreak

nalani said:
and last year I made a video tape of my entire family with a tribute to my father. (I interviewed them over Thanksgiving without telling them why) and gave a copy to each and every one of them, including my family in Texas. This year they're getting my love for Christmas LOL

That's so cool, that's my kind of thing. You ever notice the best gifts are the sentimental ones that don't always cost a lot of money? That's always what I go for when giving. :)

My family has no imagination so what I usually hear every year is "Tell me what you want for Christmas" and then they go and buy what I tell them. :shrug:

Rusty is by far the best gift giver I've ever known (besides me :D ) He always pays attention to things that I've shown an interest in over the year. He gets me the things I would never buy myself for one reason or another. Tickets to a show I wanted to see, that Anne Klein watch I always drool over every time I see it, magazine subscriptions, a vacation to a Bed and Breakfast I've wanted to stay at...

Last year he was so considerate too. He knew that whenever I garden, I always wind up with a sore back and sore knees. So he got me this little gardening seat that you can turn over and has a cushion underneath so you can kneel on it without hurting your knees or getting them dirty. It sounds stupid, but that was the most thoughtful gift I've ever gotten. Between that, the butterfly tiffany lamp, and something else I can't mention ;) it's going to be hard to top those presents this year. :D

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
I know what you mean greenie - one year I made my whole family a 'Year In the Life of a Garmon' calendar that included everyone's birthdays, anniversaries, etc ... I put pictures of the family everywhere .. that was a great present because there are so many of us that we forget who was born when and when the great celebrations are. Another year I made everyone ornaments .. frosted crystal bulbs with their names and year on them ... I have no creativity this year - I'm not moved just yet .. wonder if I'll get inspired before I run out of time? :O

greenfreak

OMG That is such a great idea! How did you get the calendar done, did you go to a printer? Or print it yourself? Do you have it saved as a file? I'd love to see it. :)

Wow, I'm considering stealing that idea, would you mind?? I have tons and tons of pictures of everyone. But I have a semi-estranged brother who I don't have many pictures of, or his kids. If I do the calendar, it would only be my two sisters, their families and my parents. That could get sticky.

Unless I do a calendar with scenic photos and then only do a few photos of everyone on the month of their birthday/anniversary... I could even make the square of just the day a picture of them... Man, this is going to take some time. Can I do it in four weeks??

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
Sure - go ahead and steal it .. I totally don't mind .. I printed it myself, since I was working as the lab tech at a high school back then .. I used a template for the calendar and just plopped in names and dates and what not then bound it myself (110lb cardstock for the cover, 24lb glossy for the calendar sheets). The pictures were stuff I had ... and at the end, I added a 'family tree' diagram so it was clear what kid belonged to which Garmon .. I also added definitions of names and things like that .. it was fun to make .. Office Max has a thingy where you just take your pics and they make the calendar for you. I haven't used them, but I heard it's pretty good and not expensive.

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
oh wait a minute .. i am inspired .. that's right .. me and ku'u designed some tshirts to give away for Christmas this year .. i almost forgot .. :D

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
how bout the best gifts youve gotten? for me its been a few things but a favourite is a glass of rocks that reminds me of my grandfather. my aunt gave it to me. i cherish that gift:)

what about the rest of you guys?

unclehobart

this is my special title
The best gift I ever gave was also the worst gift. I remember cramming a carton of Marlboros along with a card, 20 bucks, and a healthy fist of loose coins into a haphazard and misshapen hand-rolled box to a cousin for familial gift exchange. We both remember it well... and fondly.