just put a heatsink on a barebones

S

s4

I almost had a stroke this morning installing a heatsink and fan on this athlon xp barebones that I ordered. This was really tough.

Ok, so now that I have it working, what is a good way to check my temps? Is there some really heavy application that I can run that will make the temps go up? I ran the computer for a few minutes with no hard drive installed. The temps got up to 34 C.

At what temp should I worry?

This is an Athlon XP 1700 with a Cooler Master HHC-001.

Kruz

Staff member
I use Genome to test my max temps....
you can also use 3D mark2001 and loop the demo...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Genome (for team xibase/team account 848498771 hint hint ;) ;) ;)) plus Unreal Tournament does a number on my CPU temps.

I start to worry at about 50 and up, but you may want to try to keep the temps below 45 for optimum performance, even though Athlons usually remain stable up to something like 50-60 or so.

S

s4

my cpu benchmarks look like this:

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 37

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Tell that to the people running genome whose family or friends have been affected by cancer or other shitty diseases.

Acid

stud
why would they make <b>us</b> run it, when the people who made it have like 1000x faster computers? And if I'm not mistaken, it fetches the code off of the server.

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
One of the best for heat and testing is a little proggy I have called "Stability Test" which puts the CPU under intense 100% load when set to hardcore mode. I have the older version which will run indefinately. I also have Stability Test 9 which is newer and limits how long it will run. A real test is to start both versions and let it run for a day or so!!!

True "burn in" !!!:smash:

Justintime

Something
used that back in my K6-2 days! used to get toughie 400 and 500 chips to 450- 550 after i hit em hard with that proggie like for 3 days straight :D burn in don't work too well with Socket A chips i found :(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Acid said:
why would they make <b>us</b> run it, when the people who made it have like 1000x faster computers? And if I'm not mistaken, it fetches the code off of the server.
Do you seriously think Stanford would be organizing this huge distributed computing project if they had computers 1000x faster than ours?