Is Win2ksp3 officially out?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I found a link for it over at Tweak's that says it's out but I also read this morning on news.com that it's not officially out until tomorrow (Thurs) and there's no official word on M$'s site, even though the file Tweak linked to is apparently from M$. Anyone?

Now how the hell am I going to get this 125mB file home? :(

PuterTutor

No broadband, eh?

Tell you what, when I can download it, I will, PM me your address and I'll burn you a copy.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Actually I found out where Merrill Lynch hides a 250mB zip so I'll just copy it to that. Took all of 5 mins to d/l it. Thanks anyways PT.

So, is it official? :confused:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked and its not on the update list yet. So my guess would be no. bummer now i got 40 freakin machines to update again.....:mad:

Justintime

Something
SP3 bugs fixed

Service pack 3

Microsoft releases W2K Service Pack 3

Big bug download

By INQUIRER staff: Wednesday 31 July 2002, 06:39

A COLLECTION OF BUG FIXES for Windows 2000 is now available for download on the Microsoft site.
Service Pack 3 features some fixes to security but the major item of interest will be a piece of software that gives end users the option to select default programs on machines.

That control is there because of the antitrust settlement proposal between the Department of Justice (DoJ) and Microsoft, and allows end users to select which programs to choose between as defaults, Microsoft ones or not.

Prepare to jam your modem line, if that's how you're preparing to download it – the size of the file is over 120MB.

The next service pack people wait for is one for Windows XP. The beta is already available "in the wild", but we understand that Microsoft is making every effort to cut out users of pirated copies of the OS.

Mind you, Microsoft said that twice last year, once for the new Office and once for Windows XP. And hackers somehow managed to break open the protection in days.

Here's where you can download the W2K SP patches for individual machines. µ

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
grumble...grumble

ML took my puter away :mad:

Hmmm...wonder if they got pissed about tying up their bandwidth. It's not like I couldn't d/l it again.

PuterTutor

Downloaded it and installed it last night at home. Found where you can change the default Web Browser, Email, etc..,

So what else does this give me? Anyone else find anything cool yet?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the links guys. I am downloading it now. Huge pm me your snail mail and ill send ya the cd.
Still isnt showing up at MS yrt. very weird.

thanks putertutor wont be this weekend got physical inventory on monday and tuesday. wont happen till prolly middle of week.:eek: :eek: :retard:

PuterTutor

Well, if it's any consolation, it went rather seamlessly on my box, didn't have to reset any passwords, change the video settings back, or anything, just the new stuff appeared. Of course I haven't really tested it yet, probably do that tonight, I'll let you know if I encounter anything strange.

Justintime

Something
Gimme some feedback ok guys? i haven't got any box running win 2k atm, and wanna know if i should suggest the update for clients ;)

leslie

It's working out for me, like PuterTutor said, I haven't noticed a lot of difference as yet, but I also have noticed no damage. That's gotta be a good thing! :laugh: :headbang:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Ok it officially came out today... got it installed in 2 machines and seem to be working fine. These are work machines and got all the networking goodies and run the full gambit of software. so we'll see how it goes.