Is there something about XP networking I don't know?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
OK, just wanted to move a ton of files off of my laptop onto auntie's pos gateway and burn them on a cd. Auntie's machine is running XP home and my laptop Win2ksp2. So I installed a Linksys 10/100 nic yesterday and networked both machines with a crossover cat5 cable. XP installed it's own driver for the nic (which I thought was weird, but Linksys doesn't have an XP driver but does for every other OS though). IP addresses are 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.12 and subnets are 255.255.255.0 for both. TCP/IP and IPX/SPX are installed for both (although my laptop has a lot of Netware networking protocols also installed). Both machines have the same workgroup name.

Neither machine can ping the other nor see the other in NN. WTF am I doing wrong? I used to do this all the time in Win95/98 with no problems. Is it possible I have a bad crossover? Both machine have link lights so I don't think that is the answer. Is there anything I missed when installing the nic? Any input will be appreciated.

k2

If youve also got internet connection sharing enabled on either of the machines you'll get problems, try setting the lappy for DHCP and allow it to get an IP addy from the XP machine... you might find the XP has already allocated a different IP.

Other than that I'd say the cable is fubar.

Luck on ya brother.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Nope on the ICS but I will try your other suggestion. I'm also looking at tips here.

Thanks krusty.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Create user accounts for them one the other machine. Not sure if this will resolve the issue though. You might try browsing to one from the other using Start\Run the type:

\\(machine_name)

Then enter...you may be required to have a username/password to access the system. Hope this helps.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Did that too; no luck :(

It will have to wait until tomorrow; I have my NT final tonight.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Could be a cable issue. Might want to try another cable or check the current ones continuity and fix it if needed.

Acid

stud
Ya. Very possible a bad cable. Or are you sure it's crossover? Me and my neighbor run a crossover network every now and then fine. We cut a regular cable in half and changed the wire connections :)

We didn't mess with ip shit either.

tamago

(Ô.o) pi?
Lets try this step by step.
#1 Is hardware manager showing that the NIC is fully Operational in XP?
#2 Can the Machine Ping itself?
#3 Uninstal IPX/SP blah for Netware.
#4 Redo IP addresses as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
#5 RePing
#6 Enable File/Printer Sharing on both computers,

I still have issues myself even without ICS and disabling my primary NIC to the cable modem UGH (x.x) POS Win2k hehehe =) but other then that, everything works smoothly.

Take my word, I'm a future Network Administrator, I'll be dealing with this IP/TCP/IPX/ BLAH Netbeui BLAH stuff for a long long time!!!

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) I will but I have to kill my dialup connection first. I only installed IPX as a last resort
4) Did that; no luck
5) See #4
6) Already did

I'm just going to try another crossover cable before anything else. Thanks for all the input.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Sometimes this works(and I don't know why) turn the cat5 around, plug it into the other side

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Is it possible I got a bad nic? I turned on the network indicator light and I noticed it was flashing when I tried pinging the other machine (unlike what my laptop was doing). I can ping the nic just fine and it gives back results but it never flashes and packets sent/received never change from 0. I also noticed that while waiting for the ping results to the other machine, it takes almost twice as long in-between results. I'm going to try to move it to a different PCI slot but I got company coming over so it will be a while before I can test it.

Attachments

• nic.jpg
    nic.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 42

tamago

(Ô.o) pi?
I doubt the NIC goes bad unless you ESD the NIC :hmm: Also another thing is: Is your HUB 10Mbit or 100Mbit? Setting 100MBit on both nics under a 10Mbit can cause a problem. But since this is a different scenario, the XP drivers aren't compatible with the NIC card you're using. Got any other test rigs to test that incompatible NIC with?

2nd Mention: Was the card performing on any other OS systems besides XP? If i can recall, XP installed its own generic NIC drivers for your NIC? Drivers are usual to be found last as the common problem sometimes. Thank GOODNESS FOR A+ Knowledge (^.^) (ô.ô) Test that NIC card more on another RIG thats not using XP.

3rd Mention: What's the latency Time on the ping Results? you should incure a latency of 10MS or less. And what type of NIC card is this??? What is the chipset to run the NIC on it? Might need to find a generic NIC driver that works with the chipset on that NIC to operate in XP perhaps????

4th Mention: try Test other cables on the NIC cards. Maybe 2 more but do that after reasoning the other problems. Sounds more of an internal issue then with the cable maybe...
Well enough for now :) tell me your problem lil patient :)

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well got it working after changing PCI slots. Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling protocols. This is a lesson; try cables first, and if that doesn't do it, change slots. :banghead:

The reason I didn't try that first is auntie's pos machine lives in a rat's nest. Some people here have seen my old rats nest in CA a couple years ago. Auntie's machine has it beat big time (I really should rewire that machine).

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
It was in a shared PCI/ISA slot. I never used to have any problems using a shared slot before.

But this puter was made by cows...

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Typically, the last PCI slot shares an IRQ with the USB controller. This may have been what was happening.