Is there a Posty in the house?

K

krusty

I'm scared man... I started mandrake 7.1 install, got to resizing my "hda" partition and chickened out.

Is the utility reliable, I have win2k and "everything" on this HDD.

help me out here buddy. :eek:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Hmmm. Resizing aye. Let me ask around a bit. I got a few friends that use Drake. Let me find out about resizing under it before you go any further. Should have something to report sometime today. :D

Anyone else know Drake and setting up partitions within it? I've used it but I've never bothered resizing partitions before. But I will find out. :D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
As long as the resize leaves you space to work with. Also, you will proably want to run defrag a few times before doing this to ensure proper cleanup at the end of the partition. How big is your drive and how much are you currently using for Windows and all now?

K

krusty

I have 20gb total and 10gb free...

how much do you recommend for 7.1 and how much for linux swap etc

I appreciate your help Posty

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
You better leave at least 3GB for a full Mandrake 7.1 install. You will probably use up 1.5+GB during installation alone. The beauty is that once Mandrake is up and running on a dual boot machine, you have access to the Windows partition(s) from Linux if you need more space.

Posty... are you sure that the resize is non-destructive? I have never tried to use Mandrake to shrink an existing Windows partition.

If Win2K will let you resize the partition from within itself I would go that way instead just to be sure.

glussier

First let me mention David Hasselhoff. I'm waiting for the bullet. :)

If your win2k partition is ntfs, I would think twice before letting Mandrake mess with it. You should use Powerquest Partition Magic or another utility to resize your win2k partition, or be ready for the worst.

K

krusty

lol @ glussier

No I have a FAT32 partition, but I'm still wary of the resizing issues.

I might just use a spare HDD to install mandrake after all.

glussier

If you partition(s) is/are fat32 then there is a good freeware to resize your partition(s). Get Partition Resizer, it runs from DOS, and you use the arrow keys to resize, just leave the empty space alone, and Mandrake will create the required partitions. You can get Partition Resizer at http://telecharger.01net.com/windows/Utilitaire/disque_dur_cdrom_dvd/fiches/2457.html , this program can fit on a boot floppy. If you are using a spare drive then you can forget about the whole thing. :)

BTW, don't be scared by the french webpage, the utility is in english. Download is Télécharger in french.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Yeah it will fit. I have installed it in as little as 800MB but it was without all development, games, office etc.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Yeppers. Drake will fit fine in that amount of space. What gets me is the new Redhat 7.1 wants to install 1.3GB of crap on a basic install...Another thing that burns my chaps is the fact that no matter how much I try to throw away during the selection of packages, it will always want to second CD. I haven't figured out what I can install without having the OS ask for the second CD yet. Rather annoying really. Other than that though, I can't complain to much about 7.1.

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
I've not installed the new RedHat, but I know in Mnadrake it asks you which cds from the list you have. If you don't want to use the second cd, then you just don't check it at the beginning.

I always install everything I can. I need to get drake on THIS damnmachine and VMWare set up and everything, but so much stuff to burn first! (booo!)

S

s4

Installing it on a second drive is a better way to go. After resizing my partitions in the past, I have had hard drives start to get bad sectors. I've installed Mandrake 7 many times. The worst part for me was to get the correct video driver installed for X Windows. I always installed it on a second drive by itself.

If you decide to resize your Windows partition, make sure you backup the important stuff that you want to keep. If anything goes wrong, chances are you wont be able to recover the files.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Jeez, you weird effing clown! :)

Even MOI fiddled with Mandrake 7; m$ will lose its grip with this new ver of windoze. XP will kill the beast (or turn it around) hopefully.

I don't like this new m$ scheme...hopefully it will die die die

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I have a copy of PartMagic 6.0 & bootmagic, works wonderfully.

K

krusty

Originally posted by Huge
Jeez, you weird effing clown! :)

Even MOI fiddled with Mandrake 7; m$ will lose its grip with this new ver of windoze. XP will kill the beast (or turn it around) hopefully.

I don't like this new m$ scheme...hopefully it will die die die

Hey, just cause all you had to lose on your HDD ws a few games doesn't mean we all have to sacrifice our lifes work...*sniff*

It ain't worth the risk for a fiddle. :retard: