Is it so wrong to like games that are simply point and shoot?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I see it almost every day. The strategy/thinking game/RPG/etc. players constantly bashing on the deathmatch action players who prefer games that require minimal to no thought and are pretty much just shoot anything that moves, such as Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament.

Why does that happen? Is it a crime to like just pointing and shooting in games?

The people from the former group seem to think so, but they repeatedly try to use against us the very reason the action players play these kinds of games. They involve 3 things: 1) little to no thought 2) your pointing/shooting skill and 3) some evasive maneuvers.

I happen to like that kind of atmosphere, because the overhead saved from not having to think up strategies or solutions to problems in any situation can be used to taunt your fellow fraggers or figure out a way to get your favorite beverage from the refridgerator in as little time as possible.

Some strictly strategy/thinking gamers hold a grudge against games like that and the companies that make them, for no reason. They just don't listen when told "Just don't buy the game then", and they have to constantly ramble on about all the "mistakes" the company made with that game, meanwhile the people who do like the game are enjoying those same game factors that were called "mistakes" by others.

Why don't they just SHUT UP and stick to their own type of games? Don't they realize that time wasted on bitching to the action players could be better spent teaching your creature to eat his own poop in Black and White or mini-managing on the Sims or whatever?

(if you can't understand half of what I just rambled on about, that makes two of us)

Outlaw69

Banned
I like all genres of pc games. RPG, FPS, FPRPG, simulations, strategy. They all have their good points. And if someone tells me games like quake are mindless, then they don't know what they are talking about. I've seen players with over a 1000 ping kick the crap out of me with under a 100 ping. That takes some skill.

K

krusty

Who used to run around in Q3 with their weapon aimed at the ground all the time, its no wonder you got fragged...lol

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I prefer Action/Adventure/RPG but I also have no problem with kill 'em all games. I'd rather not play them but you have my permission. It's okay, really. Nobody gives a shit & if they do, f*** 'em. :eek:

sin2

I like anything and everything. But lately my reponse rate on FPS have gone down. I am coming in dead last on games. Getting old I suppose.

But I think if you decide to relate FPS to real life, then you got a serious problem and you should be reported to your high school's principal office and then have to be admitted for psychological evaluations.