Internet Explorer 6

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
IE6 FINAL has been released as of 08/28/01. Here's the one caveat to MS & thier bright ideas(see http://www.xibase.com/vB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1414 for problems with QuickTime.

Netscape-style plug-ins are not supported on Internet Explorer 6 (ref: KB article: Q303401 ). Internet Explorer 6 still supports the Netscape Embed tag, which enables you to use components that achieve the same functionality as when they were built as Netscape-style plug-ins, but that are now built on ActiveX® technologies. If you want to continue to use existing Netscape-style plug-ins on Internet Explorer 6 you should:

Contact the manufacturer of your Netscape-style plug-in to inquire whether the manufacturer has a version of the component available that is built on ActiveX technologies.
Rewrite existing Netscape-style plug-ins using ActiveX (or dual author to support both Netscape-style plug-ins and ActiveX controls).

S

s4

MS also dropped java support after having a fallout with Sun. You need a patch to use java.

I noticed that when I was using the beta of Win XP that it kept telling me that java was not installed when I encountered a page with it.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
With Netscape 6 not exactly impressing either, makes people wonder what's happening in the Internet Browser business. Are we destined to be using IE5.0 in two years' time?? :eh: