I'm gonna need to know... (Linux+98se networking question)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
...how to set up a Windows 98se comp to feed a Linux box the internet.

I'm getting some ethernet cables tomorrow and I'm gonna hook my 2 boxes up to a hub with the T-bird (98se) having the connection to the internet and the Duron (linux) getting the connection to the internet from the modem in the T-bird.

The hub is 10/100, has 4 ports, one of them being switchable between Normal and Uplink.

I have one NIC in the T-bird and I'm gonna install another NIC (mucho gracias, senor samb0nium :)) into my Duron which I'm going to switch back to Linux and set it up for the internet.

What I need to know is how I would hook them up to the hub and have the linux box suck the internet teat, so to speak, from the 98se box?

All I need between them is just a network connection so the linux box will be able to upload and download genes, I'll worry about being able to Quake on it later :spin:

I appreciate any advice

BTW, the Linux install is Redhat 7.1. I will probably have to reinstall the OS completely cause I don't remember installing one of the packages I think was needed to do this.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Setup the 98SE box for ICS. Then setup the Linux box to use the 98SE IP as the Gateway. ICS will want to give the 98SE box the IP of 192,168.0.1 so tell the Linux box to use that for the Gateway. Just make sure they are both on the same IP (192.168.0.*) and Subnet mask (255.255.255.0).

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Arghety Argh Argh

Something said "**** you, cruel world" on my Linux hard drive. That was the only one I had left :eek:

Plan B (keep on 98se'ing on the Duron) attempted and succeeded after a few tries. (it turns out I wasn't supposed to use the port in uplink mode when I hooked the T-bird up to the hub.)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Umm. Nope. hehe. That's for another hub. :) Sorry to hear the drive failed. Bummer. :(

Professur

Mushroom at large
I leave all the ports on my hubs standard, and use yellow x-over cables for cascades. Makes my life a lot easier.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OMG

the linux drive works

w0000000000t

Setting it up for the network was a snap, too!

it automatically detected the NIC and I told it to use DHCP, tada

:wave:

Now about these tiny fonts Netscape uses... :smash:

btw, how do I install something on linux? (like gah)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
N/m, I figured it out :beerchug:

I assumed a console box would pop up with genome's progress, but it's running (I know this because I checked out top and it's using 13.1 megs of memory and 99.5% CPU)