IBM doubles down on server memory

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://news.com.com/2100-1001-833632.html]
IBM has begun selling servers with technology that lets 2GB of data squeeze into 1GB of memory.

And through a deal IBM signed with Broadcom subsidiary ServerWorks in 2000, the memory-doubling technology will be available for use with other companies' Intel-based servers as well. ServerWorks sells chipsets--the key chips that connect CPUs to memory and other parts of the computer--and its products are used by IBM, Dell Computer, Compaq Computer and Hewlett-Packard.
[/QUOTEURL]

Interesting. Read the full story at the link above.

The issues of size and electrical power are important for super-thin "blade" servers just now coming to market. The first IBM server to use the technology will be IBM's x330, a system that with two Intel CPUs measures 1.75 inches thick.

Wow, It's hard to believe that they're gonna make servers that small! Think of the room needed for 30 servers now, and then...
Never read about those "blade" servers before though...

MXT is a very interesting development. I wonder if they're gonna use it in desktop computers too...

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Yea inkara1 that was the big deal when w95 came out. you bought win95 ramdoubler. I even got it. dont really know if it really worked but it looked cool to show i had more ram than i actually had.

Yeah, at those times you could have a stunning 32 MB of RAM using ramdoubler :D

Geez, it's only been 6 ~ 7 years ago. See at the developments which are made in the computer business...it keeps surprising me time after time :)