I think my sound card is puking

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I have a compaq presario with an onboard sound card. The mobo has already been replaced once due to a faulty sound card. Last time the sound card just quit working. This time it's doing weird shit. Sometimes it makes a very irritating popping/scratchy noice when I click on links. It either hesitates or skips if I click on a link when I have an mp3 playing. On ICQ it makes odd sounds for no apparent reason. Is the sound card bad, or could something else cause it to be doing this?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like you should just stop trying to put up with that compaq sound card (as it is obviously very low quality) and get yourself a soundblaster live value. (they're only about 35 bucks)

Do you know how many PCI slots you have in your computer?

If not, lemme know the model number and I'll see if I can find out

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Yep, Fury's right. There may be a jumper setting to disable the onboard crap, but again, need a model # to know for sure.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Re: Re: I think my sound card is puking

Originally posted by Fuser Man
Here's your problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Q
I have a compaq presario

[rocky the flying squirrel voice]....and now! a word from Mr. Know-it-all! [/rocky the flying squirrel voice] :p

it's a 7360

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Typically, this either to due to a resource problem or an IRQ problem. Because the onboard sound directs a large amount of the processing of data onto the CPU, this can create a large amount of CPU intensive work. Does it happen when you system is working on other stuff? I've got onboard sound here and do experience that on occasion when the CPU is working on other stuff, like Genome. Your best recourse? Buy a PCI sound card that has it's own processor. SB Live Value, etc...

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I am running g@h. Prolly currently working on a 900aa. Crappy processor...giant gene. Go figure.
Anyway...resources are at 49%....they'll shoot up to 89%, if I re-boot.

Next question...if I buy a SBLive, is anybody willing to talk me through disabling the onboard sound and installing the PCI??:eh:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I found your system specs at compaq, it says you have 4 pci slots. One of them is surely free.

I'd be happy to walk you through setting it up ;)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Cool, thanks flurf!
Hmmm, maybe what I'll do is get a SB Live value and stick it in the t-bird till I can get a better one, then put the SBLV in the comcrap...any suggestions on a better sound card for the t-bird?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, there is no better sound card unless you shell out megabucks for the SB Live Platinum

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Is there a real difference between the two? I thought the Platinums, Xgamers, etc. were just the Value cards with more software. Either way, I agree. It's the best line out there, IMO.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The platinum has the software of X-gamer and MP3, fancier connectors, and a face plate you hook to the front of your case to hook up MIDI, headphones, etc...