I picked up a voodoo card.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I got a voodoo4 4500. got a good deal on it too. Anyone tried to run one in XP yet? I think its going into my kids 98se box so he can start gamming better..:D

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Dumbass. When it gives up & quits performing as it should, look at the "Lifetime Warranty" & remember, it's their lifetime, not yours.:lurk:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
its just so hard to give up such a good line of nonexistant cards..:D

BigDadday

Everday People
Still running a Vodoo3 2000 agp in my spare puter and it's going strong. Kinda liked them also but went to Asus now. BD:whip:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
For what it could do, my old V3 2k PCI was a fast card. Ran at 166mhz without any extra cooling. Too bad the TNT2 whomped it hands down feature-wise.

S

s4

I've been using my Voodoo 3 3000 for about a year. I wondered if I shouldn't put a fan on the heatsink. I never bothered to, but it seems like the card gets pretty warm.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you been actually running it? Have you done a lot of 3d graphics activity on it?

Chances are, if it has been put through enough paces, e.g. lots of heavy use, or running 24/7, putting a fan on it now won't make much of a difference except maybe another month or two extra of running time, but you may still want to do it so you don't find yourself looking for a new video card sooner than it is needed.

But if it has only been lightly used, such as very light 3d gaming and non-24/7 run time, putting a fan on it now will probably keep your card happily churning out the frames for another few years, if you so elect to keep it for that long.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Well the voodoo is finally up and running...man I really wish 3dfx could have stayed afloat... what a card. Just imagine what they could have been by now...:cry: :cry: :cry:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
yeah.. imagine what today would be like if they'd never done something stupid and purchased STB :rolleyes:

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
There were a LOT of small errors that caused their downfall, purchasing STB wasn't even that big a thing. Their major problem occured when they stopped selling their chips and used the newly acquired STB to make their own cards and no one else.

Neo, you found good drivers?

THE source for Voodoo information, one of 3 or 4 that's really left.

http://www.banfi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/x3dfx/main.htm

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I know their insistence that speed is everything and image quality is crap was a bad decision, but maybe if they hadn't bought STB and instead focused on continuing their voodoo line as they had, they would've realized that earlier, and the Voodoo4/5 series would've been released in the midst of the Geforce 256 era, in which it would've had a better chance of surviving.