I need to completely remove this proggie

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Some time ago I d/l ed Infranview. I never really used the program and my HDD was getting pretty full, so I decided to get rid of it....well, I thought I got rid of it. The other day wine4all sent me a screenshot and I couldn't open it. It went into an Infranview file (I guess) and I got a cannot find path blah blah, program does not exist crapolla.
I checked in windows explorer for it, I checked add/remove programs for it. I don't see it anywhere, but part of it must be hiding somewhere. Please tell me how to get rid of this damn thing.:mad:

...and the first person who says format....dies!

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Q, are you saying that this type of file wants to open in the proggy you removed? If so, you can change the default proggy for that type of file.

Double click My Computer, and click View in the menu. Then click Folder options, then File types. Browse down til you hit the file type you're trying to open, click once on it, and click edit. Then click edit again. You can now point the default proogy to open this type of file to any one you want. For example, if you want to tell Winblows to use MG Photo Suite to open bitmaps instead of paint, you can use this method to make Photo suite the program which automatically comes up when you double click a bitmap.

Does this make sense, or am I way off base? :D

glussier

Ok, format your c: drive. :)

Irfanview is not an installed program as such. When you want to install-it, you create a directory of your choice and unzip the irview.zip file to it, then you could go in Options/Properties (a menu in IrfanView) and select the file associations you want to have. You could also create a shortcut, on your desktop or anywhere else, to the irfanview.exe file.

If you want to uninstall this program, you only have to delete the folder where the irfanview support files reside. But, if you have created file associations to this program, you would also have to manually redo them. For example, if you have an *.gif files which is still associated to the irfanview program, you can redo the file association by selecting an *.gif file and while holding the shift key right click on the gif file and select the "Open with" line in the right click menu that appears. Do no forget to put a checkmark in the "always use this progra...." to insure next time irfanview won't be called again.

K

krusty

zee frenchy ees correct... give that man a snail.

*loads .45* David Hasselhoff indeed :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
For...mat?

GAH! :eek:

*keels over and dies* :o

what glussier said is probably the easiest way to get your file associations back on track

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Ok, I did what HomeLAN said first. This should insure any new items go to photoshop which I have made the default...right?
As for the pesky little files which have already been assimmilated by this infranview beasty, I just right click, tell them to open with photoshop and check the *always use* box and I'm cool? Did I get all this straight?

And about this format c: ...you're just lucky I don't feel like cruising up to Canada right this minute :D

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
If you ran my method, anything with that file extension will open in photoshop (if that's what ya specified), when you double-click it.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Thats it? it's all fixed? cool, and quite painless, I might add!:cool:

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
Win2k - Right click > Open With > Select program > check always use > OK

Win9x - select the file > SHIFT + Right click > Open With > ... (same as above now)

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Hmmmm cool thanks for the tip brainsoft, I wasn't aware of that one.. :)

For pesky programs though RegCleaner is an awesome tool. It hunts them down in the registry & removes all reference to them. Including file associations, time-limited demo expiries, etc. :)

K

krusty

Thanks a13, that util was awesome.

Hey buddy she quit her job last week and hasn't been into town since, sorry dude, I'll get those disks to you somehow this week!!

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
a13, I got reg cleaner, and that thing is awesome, I got a lot of old shit out, but guess whats still there? This thing is not listed as Infranview in the list of files. I also clicked on more information on some of the mysterious looking files, but none of the file names looked even remotely like they could be associated with infranview. :mad:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Hmmmm... have a look through again & try & identify every entry. If there's one left over you can't pick, chances are it'll be the Irfanview thing.

But I think brainsoft's suggestion is probably going to be the most efficient.. :)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Outlaw recently "helped me out" with photoshop6, so I don't want to inadvertantly delete any of those files. This infranview is just pissing me off, pathetically trying to cling to life, when so clearly I just want it to die!:mad:
Oh well, soon enough I will burn the stuff I want from this machine and format it....and we'll just see how Mr. Infranview likes that!:D