I HAVE DONE IT! I AM IN LINUX MANDRAKE!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
No amount of :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

could EVER describe how happy I am right now

It installed perfectly, and after some minor tweaking of the modem, and the changing of the device my connection uses to /dev/ttyS1 (COM2), I can now connect to the internet in Linux!

I've installed most of the GUI interfaces, so which one should I use for my main GUI? KDE, Gnome, Blackbox...

whenever I absolutely must enter gui mode, I don't want any clutter taking any unnecessary CPU cycles from Genome.

What's a good email client to use that checks multiple mailboxes at once?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Pfft; big deal! :rolleyes: ;)

KDE is supposed to be a hog compared to earlier versions (I haven't noticed it but I haven't played around in Mandrake much).

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
fury said:

What's a good email client to use that checks multiple mailboxes at once?
You can use Q@xibase if you want. You'll never have that pesky spam problem. :D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
K-Mail will handle as many mailboxes as you wnat. too. Very nice interface and feature rich. I use it all the time. mahogany is supposed to be another nice client as well. I've heard of a mail client developed by the Ximian team that looks and works just like Outlook 2000 and a special addon can bepurchased to interface with another box using Outlook...or something like that. K-Mail also has a little tool for importing OE 4,5 and I think 6 email and folders. Might want to look into that. Have fun. :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I've started up kmail-import. Is it supposed to take a long time to load up /mnt? (/mnt/win_c and /mnt/win_d are where my windows partitions are, and my mail folder is in win_d)

danleff

Hi;

I started out with KDE and K-mail with Mandrake 8, and liked both. While some feel that KDE is for beginners, it has a good number of features that should keep you happy for a while. Gnome seems much more of a hog to be. While it looks good, it took me a little time to get used to it. If the system can handle it, I feel KDE is a good starting point - KDE, Konqueror and k-mail are a nice combo!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just proved that there isn't an operating system in the world that the Flurffmeister couldn't fux0r up :D

Mandrake will no longer boot. At all. I get a kernel panic (I think...) and then an immediate shut down shortly after I select Linux on the boot loader.

Serves me right for trying to install a sound card :rolleyes:

danleff

I hope you made a boot disk, as recommended in the install. If so, PostCode probably can guide you through how to recover. Does the system just stall at the panic message?

I'm trying to remember what the good Linux gurus told me. You should be able to boot with the Mandrake boot disk under a couple of circumstances. In most instances, you can also boot from the install CD. When you get the terminal screen (prompt) on start-up, try typing in "linux single" (without the quotes) and in some cases, the system will recover on it's own. If you made any changes to lilo.conf, then you have to run /sbin/lilo in a termnal window.

During install, did you tell it to install lilo to MBR or to the root partition?

By the Way, what version of Windows and Mandrake Distro do you have on this system?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Boot disk: I was never given the option (most likely because I do not have a floppy drive)

System shuts down immediately after the panic message (I'm assuming it's a panic message because I recall from an earlier kernel panic the text "Aiee!", and I saw a brief flash of this text just before the system powered down)

I can boot from the install CD, but it starts the Linux installation before I can make a selection as to what I want to do.

It didn't give me a choice whether to install lilo to the MBR or root partition. I had it create a partition in the unused space in my hard drive, and out of the 2 gigs I had left, it only created a 937 meg partition.

Windows 2000, Mandrake 8.0

danleff

Hi;

Hey, this isn't a thinkpad, is it? No floppy?

As soon as you get the welcome screen, press F1 (more options). You then will come to a text screen. I have to think now, since it's been a while. At the text prompt, type in the linux single command.

On most distro's (boy, I miss LinuxDiscussions), you are given an option during install, to install lilo to the MBR or root.

Oh! Windows 2000? Do you have NTFS as your filesystem?

Are you given a choice on boot, when Lilo appears, to choose DOS (win 2000) or linux? Do you get this?

If you have fat32, you can install to the MBR. If NTFS, there's a problem installing in many cases to the MBR (darn windows!). If you were not given an option, you need to install in expert mode, after pushing the F1 key and getting into text mode. This also allows you to configure your hard drive to use some of your existing windows space to configure some partition space for Linux. Before installing linux, you also need to run defrag in windows to make sure your files are in order. But. if you have NTFS, it's a little more complicated.

You have me interested now. I'm thinking about installing this distro of Mandrake on my thinkpad, as Debian will not install correctly, due to my thinkpad pointer. That's another story.

If you can hang in there, PostCode knows a lot about this, or I can install Mandrake into my system and check this out.

But, if you have fat32 currently as your filesystem, try the linux single command and see if Mandrake loads correctly.

Then we can go from there. But from my experience, if this does not work, then a re-install with expert may be needed.

Let me know.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, it's a home built desktop system. Yep, no floppy.

I've done F1, it does absolutely nothing.

Win2k, yes. FAT for C: and FAT32 for D:

Yeah, I get the choice to boot to the following options
linux
linux-nonfb
floppy
dos
failsafe

Like I said earlier in this post, I'm never given the option to hit F1 when I insert the CD, it goes straight to linux install. Is the CD fux0red or something?

Thanks for all your efforts to help d00d, I really appreciate it ;)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Fury if all else fails, just reinstall overtop of mandrake. Since you have all hardware in now it should find it and you should be set.

danleff

Opps.. I missed that part! I would do a reinstall, after your sure that 2000 boots OK. Sounds like your cd, for some reason, defaults to autoinstall. I'm used to doing the expert install, which allows you to specify how much hard disk space to use, how to partition the hard drive (I single partition, or multiple ones if you want to keep your downloads and such on a seperate partition) and I believe the option to install to MBR.

If 2000 starts ok, your partitons should just be overwritten in the re-install. Sounds like lilo installed correctly from the menu that you get on boot with lilo. This way, it should auto-config. your sound card too. At some point during the install, you should see this. The only problem I had was with a Maestro 3 card in one of my machines, which was resolved with an updated kernel.

What sound card is it? Mandrake installed easily on my systems, both with onboard sound and a card, most are supported. As Neo said, now that all the peripherals are in, Mandrake should pick them all up, or at least ask you to confirm some of the choices it wants to make. If it doesn't for some reason, you can go in and troubleshoot later.

This is supposed to be part of the fun of mastering Mandrake.

Choice is good!

dnar

Psycho Penguin
fury - RedHat 7.2 would do you a lot better m8ee...... But thats just my opinion..... :rolleyes: