I finally got JKII

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
But it wouldn't even install on my lappy. Got it installed on aunties pos gateway with an 8mB pos ATI card. Runs ok (outdoor scenes are choppy though, imagine that). Played it a bit yesterday and killed myself after I blew up some "reactor" thingy under the elevator on the first level. Looks like a good game and the reviews I've read seems it kicks ass (mostly).

Once the GF4 4600's start readily appearing, I'll put in a GF3 in her machine (I think a GF4 in her machine would be overkill (p3-450). Good thing I'm gettin $2,500 back in taxes. :)

Also, what's with the teeny-tiny game boxes? I mean I think it's great publishers want to cut down on wasting paper, but I can see these games walking out the store.

Acid

stud
Ya. When I bought C&C Renegade it was in one of those boxes. I easily could have carried behind another rack, opened it, got the cd case out, walked out. It's a bit more obvious to tell if you have like an 8x12 (guess?) box :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Big game boxes take up a lot of storage space, and have a lot of slack space, considering the fact that most games are nothing but 1 or 2 CD's, a manual, then the rest is cardboard and air, and game advertisements (like screenshots and stuff). Look at games for the GameCube, X-box and PS2, for example. They fit the disk, the manual, and advertisement for the game all within the confines of a CD jewel case or DVD plastic case. People can stack dozens more of those containers in one spot than big PC game boxes. Most of the time, you can even fit 5 or 6 game boxes from a PS2, GC, or Xbox into one PC game box.

Big boxes lead to high construction costs. Although smaller boxes leave less room for game advertisement, for which big game boxes has an obvious plus, they are often preferred by the gaming enthusiast over big boxes. Collectors often like to have the majority of their space taken up by games, not by cardboard boxes.