How to fry an XP1800

alex

Been trying to setup some new hardware lately. Got my K7T mobo and got an XP1800 chip to go with it. I liked the mobo so much , I decided to get another one and put my Athlon 750TB in it. I couldn't get win2k to install properly. It would crash every time about half way thru detecting hardware. I had it narrowed down to either the new mobo or the 750TB. So this morning I decided to pull my XP1800 out of puter #1 and try it in puter #2 to see if win2k would install. I put the chip in the socket and didn't realize that little thermal sensor was kinda springy and I guess I let go of the chip before I had the socket lever latched and the CPU didn't seat properly (one side was kinda cocked up). then I installed the heatsink and wondered why it was so hard to get on. When I realized it wasn't gonna boot, I pulled the heatsink off and saw the CPU wasn't seated, so I seated it and powered up and the sucker started smoking. I'm pretty sure I cracked the die. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :banghead:

S

s4

Oh man you have my deepest sympathy. You are a bigger man than me. If it had been me, I'd be sitting around crying up a river.

I just got a barebones xp 1700 today and swore i messed mine up. I had a hellofa time installing the heatsink and fan. Then I got ready to turn the computer on and nothing happened. I almost had a stoke and swore I cracked the chip. Then finally I realized that the I/O switch on the ps was set to O. After changing it to I, all was well. The system came on, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

alex

Oh it's fried alright. Bought another XP1800 today at lunch and all is well with puter #1. But I plugged the new chip into the new K7T in puter #2 and it won't even begin to boot. Looks like ComputerHQ sent me a bad mobo :smash:

alex

I placed the order with newegg.com thirty days ago today. I looked at thier replacement policy on the web and it wasn't real specific about CPU's. Most places have a strict policy about CPU's cause of overclocking. I don't know, it WAS my fault.

Acid

stud
tell them you got a bad motherboard, and your chip fried when you put it in.

of course, you're leaving a <i>bit</i> out, but the world would be in chaos if everyone knew everything :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Send me that fried cpu, I have an astonishing ability to revive cracked/fried cpus :smash:

alex

The CPU started smokin and has scorch marks on it. Even if you had a lab with all the micro technology, you couldn't possibly fix it.

alex

Acid said:
tell them you got a bad motherboard, and your chip fried when you put it in.

of course, you're leaving a <i>bit</i> out, but the world would be in chaos if everyone knew everything :D

If I told them that, I would think they would be less likely to replace it. Although it is somewhat true, I did get a bad mobo from ComputerHQ.

Now that I think about it, I think the 30 day return policy starts when you receive the shipment, not when it is shipped :mischief:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
My T-bird 1.2 smoked and colored pretty colors a few times too. Also crushed around the corners. It's still churning away at 1333mhz.

Can I at least see a picture of it? :D

alex

I DON'T FUCKING BELIEVE THIS.

I purchased another 1800 at lunch yesterday. Came home and installed it in #1, life was good.

Then this morning:

I took 1800 and HS out of #1 and put it in #2, wouldn't boot, got to be a bad mobo. I have yet to get this mobo to boot. I just get all red led's.

Then:

Took 1800 and HS out of #2 and put back in #1, now #1 won't boot back up.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOIN ON :banghead: :banghead:

I'm starting to think that 2nd K7T I purchased is bad and may be frying CPU's :smash:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Damn... sorry to hear about your bad luck... Are you applying your thermal paste well? Sometimes that can mean the difference between a blank screen and a working computer.

Kruz

Staff member
I feel left out!!! I've never killed a cpu.... And I abuse the hell out of em..:)

Justintime

Something
oh well, just got a slightly cracked Duron to my name, works still too! and i'm sure i installed well over 500 Socket A chips so far :p

alex

Kruz said:
I feel left out!!! I've never killed a cpu.... And I abuse the hell out of em..:)

Try not seating one properly then force the heatsink on, that worked for me :retard: