How do I make something start up with Linux?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of like RunServices starts things with Windows instead of after logging in, how do I make something (Genome) start up on boot in Linux instead of having to log in and manually start it?

And after I get it to start up with Genome, how do I check on it, or will I just have to make sure it's running by using top and hope it uploads and downloads correctly?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
First open a terminal and login as su. Then,

cd /etc

Then:

pico inittab

Now, scroll down and look for the following line:

id:3:initdefault: (The number may be different here)

All you have to do is change the number that is there, which is probaby 3 to 5:

id:5:initdefault:

Restart and the system should startup to a graphical interface. Hope this helps.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I wasnt referring to the graphical interface (but thanks for that tip, I'll keep it in mind, that could come in handy sometime when I get out of this addiction to the console :))

What I meant was having the computer run a specific program (Genome) upon the computer booting, as in it starts before I get to the login screen and continues to run even if I log out... Is that even possible?

If it's not, is it possible to make something run just after logging in? Logging in is not really a problem (I've typed my password enough times I can do it on my feet :eek2: ), it's the getting Genome running each and every time... Here's what I type after logging in

cd /usr/local/bin/gah (path to Genome)
./ghclient.x -upload (upload all genes)
./ghclient.x (let it download a new gene)
./ghclient.x -nonet (have at it)

I know I could probably significantly shorten the time used in doing this by not letting the room get so hot that the CPU gets too hot to operate and locks up the OS.. lol... not even Linux can survive that kind of hardware abuse

But things like the room temp increasing and locking the computer up and lightning storms and breaker switch flippings and power outages are pretty much guaranteed to happen once or twice every few days to a week where I live, so I can see myself becoming a madman within a few mere months if I continue typing out the full commands :spin: :smash: :eek:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
There is a file, /etc/profile, that you can add it to at the end of. When you startup, it'll start as well.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Yes and no.

Putting it in /etc/profile is system wide. All users will run it here. You do have to SU to edit the file though. Other than that, everyone runs it