Hope this is the right place..

BigDadday

Everday People
I just purchased another 20 gig Hard Drive and they are both 7200 rpm. I have formatted it and now installled it under my first one. The next part is my slight problem...

OK I connect the second HD to the same ribbon as the first but do I also have to connect another power source,white 4/5 prong,to it? Also is just a format all I need?

Kruz

Staff member
Yes , Each hard drive needs It's own power plug...
Also set the jumpers on your drives to Master(for the main drive).
And Slave (for the second drive).

Attachments

• jan11_14.jpg
    jan11_14.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 40

Kruz

Staff member
Jumper location .....
When your done with that, boot up and go to your bios setup screen and make sure the settings are on auto detect.. it should detect the drive on booting up...

Attachments

• jan11_22.jpg
    jan11_22.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 40

BigDadday

Everday People
Great anwers but a question again. Which is that set on the bottom picture? Master? Then for slave it's across the top to?
Thnx alot it helps seing it. BD

greenfreak

It's different for each drive BD. I hate to say this, but the diagram on where the jumpers go are on the top of the drive. You may have to take one of them out a little to read the top.

BigDadday

Everday People
Theyt're both maxtor 7200 rpm drives and the thibg is where is master and where is slave if I need the slave when I connect to the first?

Do I need a jumper on the second one when just adding it on like that or shall I take it off?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
each HDD has 3 possible settings. Master/Slave/Cable Select. In the paperwork, if they are retail, is a pic showing the possible settings. If no paperwork/instructions, on the HDD itself, is MA/SL/CS. Set the drive you want to be the "C" drive to master, using the jumper & the other as slave. The ribbon cable will need to use the end connector as the master & the center connector as the slave.

BigDadday

Everday People
OK OKOKOKOKOKOKOKOKOK :D

I now have a 20 C drive and a 20 D drive so the next feat is to put another oS on D so next question is how do I get it to boot asking me which drive I want?

Thnx alot everyone :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Kruz

Staff member
what two os's are you wanting to use?
What is your current "main"os?
do you want to do a "duel boot system?

BigDadday

Everday People
Running 98se and want to try a win 2000 on the second.As to the Brand it is a Maxtor both Ultra ATA/100 and the models number I will have to look again as they are in the start up or on the drive itself but I'm getting ther altho I may just leave this as a drive to store my downloads on I still need the info about the other.:)

Kruz

Staff member
Ok thats good... because you need to have win98 installed first with win 2k..
just run the setup program from the win2k cd.. it will give you two options for install (upgrade your current os).. or (start a new installation) pick the second one . during the install it will ask you where you want to install windows.. pick your second drive..EX: D:\Winnt.. after everything installs you will have a boot screen at startup asking which system you want to start.. windows 2000 or win 98...Good luck

Kruz

Staff member
I would move them over to your C drive, and then you can move them back after your done with the installition...OH one more thing...during the install it will ask you if you want to use FAT32 or NTFS for the drive... keep FAT32.. this way you wont to re-format if you want to get rid of win2k...

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Your only issue that I see is the files you currently have in place on that drive. Ensure that when you copy them back over to the D:\ partition ao that they are located in the same directory in which they are currently located. For instance, if they are locate in d:\program files\<programname>, then ensure that you copy then back to that same location. You may have to create a directory for them (if you use Windows Explorer then you just copy and paste) but this is where the Registry is looking for them and expecting them to be located. That is, of course, if they are installed programs.

If it's just data, not to worry then. Just copy the contents of it to where ever you desire. On my XP install, I use the D:\ for a holding area of downloaded programs and data, i.e., programs I'm developing, websites, programs, cracks, I mean, licenses, etc...