Hey Wine4all

unclehobart

this is my special title
As our resident brewer pro, you would know best. After a bottle of port is opened, how long is it good for? What is the variance between the daily drinkable stuff vs. the long term aging quality port?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Whiney has discovered the power of cable-ALL his wine may become goats cheese. :grin:

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Actually Port is not as susceptable to oxidation (the thing that ruins wine once it is opened) as table wines. The port is fortified with high proof brandy which acts as an anti-oxidant. Oxidation does not neccessarily ruin a fortified wine. In fact, I purposely oxidize all my sherries and some of my ports. One example of a very fine port which is "oxidized" is Galloway Pipe Port. This, and all good tawny's are amber(ish) in color due to the oxidation and additional tannins picked up via long term barrell aging. Madiera is another example of a "baked" wine.

A standard wine (10 - 15% alc.) should be consumed within 24 - 48 hours of opening. But ports and sherries can stand up to weeks of exposure to air.

FYI the wine bottle is the size it is (750 ml) because historically it is accepted that one bottle can be consumed by two people in a single setting so as to avoid the whole issue. This rule does not really apply to fortified wines however which can be 18-22% alcohol.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I'll translate, a couple of weeks :lol: and
it has more booze in it :laugh:

ris

i am my my own evil twin
oxidising ports and sherries has traditionally been done through decanting.

decanting normal wine is a personal thing - some like their wine well aired and mixed. leave it in there too long and the wine will get a little vinegarey :(