Hey Prof

greenfreak

You mentioned you detest Wyse terminals before... but do you repair them yourself?

I have about 10 terminals with a ghosted image of the Winterm Connection Manager on it because they never used the screen saver and Wyse wants to charge me $140. to fix each of them. This is going to get expensive once they all 200+ of them go out of warranty next year.

I found an 'authorized service center' but I'm wondering if there's any certification program or something to fix them myself. My RMA contact at Wyse wasn't very helpful in giving me information. I've contacted the service center to get an idea of their prices but they'll probably be even more expensive.

catocom

Machinehead
Sounds like burnin to me. :eek:
I don't know if there is a way to fix that, short of putting in a new tube.

Professur

Mushroom at large
What he said.

Sadly, we don't repair shit at work anymore. I'm in the process of trying to restart the repair centre, but the boss is dead set against the idea. Mostly because he can't control it and doesn't like that much.

Honestly, tho, $140 for what? a 12 inch screen installed isn't a bad price. As for doing it yourself ... don't. Tubes carry a charge for years. A very high charge. Unless you're planning to take up TV repair, leave that crap for the experts. FTR both Compaq and IBM don't allow warranty repair of their monitors at centers like ours. We have to warranty exchange them. They'll happily pay two way shipping on a 17" monitor rather than risk trying to train us in their repair.

greenfreak

Yeah, it's definitely the tube, that's what the $140. price quote was for, from Wyse. The model is the WT3730LE, it has a 17" screen and the base all in one.

I'm all for my company spending money on service or extended warranties, I just thought if I could learn something in the process, I might try it. But it sounds like a bitch. :)

Thanks guys. :)

greenfreak

My constant companions: http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/3730le/index.htm

I took down serial numbers yesterday, I have 11 units with burn-in. That's about $1540.00 to fix them. I'm testing Wyse software that I can hopefully use to enable the screen saver on all the units in my WAN from my desk. To expect these people to enable their own screensavers would be too much work for them. :rolleyes: