Here I go Again

BigDadday

Everday People
This puter is driving me crazy. It is my PIII 1000 MHz and has 512 memory in it with the top drive being a 20 and the lower a 40.

OK Now I have lost my cd-rom as you may reall that one and it has now decided to not come back so I am using my 4x4x24 writer as a rom also.:(

I did a format and tried to put win 2000 Pro on with no luck so decided to throw 98 on and then put it over it. No such luck at all. I now cannot even upgrade to win 98 plus or 98se if I want to as it says I am missing a cab file and also that some of my hardware is not working properly along with the possibility of a virus or low memory??? I have done virus checks out the yazooo and all shows fine so I am stumped. The cd-rom is not working at all which may be what the hardware problem is so I disconnected it and it still does not work.

Any suggestions other than throwing it up against the basement wall?

Thnx for the patience as I just now got back online.Phew!

I also have in it Norton 2003 and have not installed the NIS firewall yet.

BigDadday

Everday People
Well I took it apart and started all over again and this time it was unplugged as well for a few hours and after I reinstalled everything it is running all my drives including the cd-rom and writer and I am not going to worry about changing the drive letters as long as it's working and I also have installed 98se in it with no problems so I thin k I may leave this one on 98se and just use the other with 2000 Pro when i feel like it cuz I don't want to throw it against the wall really.:)

Thnx for reading.:D

Professur

Mushroom at large
Do not use your burner as a rom. That's the fastest way to kill it. The head is twice as heavy as a regular rom and wears out quickly doing random reads.

Voice of experience talking.

BigDadday

Everday People
Thnx as it is fixed but I was wondering if I got a plextor that was at least a 40+ if that would wear it out?