Having CD-ROM plugged in increases bootup time dramatically

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Every time I have my CD-ROM plugged into my computer, Win2k takes 3 minutes to boot up, and at some points appears to lock up while it is accessing the drive. Without the CD-ROM plugged in, it's 30-45 seconds (depending on whether my system just crashed (45) or whether it's booting after a clean shutdown (30)). This happened whether I specified "Auto", "User", or "None" for the secondary slave device (what my CD-ROM is on, since it will not accept being the master)

DMA mode is enabled on both the hard drive and the CD-ROM, I've tried swapping between a few different IDE cables, and my system is a T-bird 1.2 oc'd to 1.33 (clocking back down to 1.2 made no difference) on a half-dead KT7a (that could have something to do with it, I guess)

Any ideas?

[edit: There is no CD in the drive when I boot up.]

fury

Administrator
Staff member
No

I should note that this didn't happen while I was using XP or 98, if that makes any sense.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Suggestion for an experiment - plug the CD-ROM in as a slave to your primary master HD. See if the problem continues. I'm wondering if Win2k is spending that time looking for a secondary master that doesn't exist, even though a secondary slave does.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Will do next time I crash. Won't be long, since I just downloaded some new Windblows updates, and my system is always slap-happy crashy until I reboot it.