Happy Birthday DOOM

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
So many precious memories. :)

bluesnews said:
As noted in the date bar, this is the anniversary of the release of the DOOM shareware, which first became available eight years ago today. That's right, eight years... it occurs to me that this time span is starting to reach the point where the number of members of our gaming community who were not gamers when DOOM was released are probably representing an ever-higher proportion of that community all the time. I wonder if the original impact of the game translates for someone who didn't experience it at the time? I imagine not, the graphics would probably harm the experience for someone raised on 3D acceleration, but that's just a guess. Anyway, on to more recent anniversaries, yesterday was the fourth birthday of the release of Quake II.

Inkara1

The BFG 9000 was nice, but I must say my favorite weapon in that one was the double-barreled shotgun. :D

Last time I played that... I'm not sure if I'd even made the jump from the AMD 486DX4/100 to the Pentium 166 yet. I have a T-bird 1.2 now with Windows 2000... I wonder how it would run on this. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The game is software-locked in framerate to 35FPS, so it would probably play the same way it did on your Pentium 166, maybe with the exception of being in the middle of a huge blood bath in which it would probably play faster than your P166 did in that situation

Inkara1

Remember dehacked? I used to have it... my friend made a level once in which every time your bullet missed and hit the wall, it would turn into two monsters... and the only weapon was the double-barrelled shotgun and it was on rapid fire. I think we got 10,000 or so monsters before the screen started showing acid-trip-like colors. That was with the 486. I wonder if I could get any more now with the T-bird 1.2? :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I loved dehacked! :grin:

I would turn on the super weapons hack (the one that makes every weapon super-rapid fire... you'd be able to clear an entire room with about one second of rocket fire, and it would look like a sunburst if you looked in the map display while firing and turning at the same time), then I'd give every monster like 1000000 hit points and then go into 400% turbo mode and run across this one huge level I made (a big square area, and I mean BIG) with hundreds of monsters, rockets a-blazin' and when I'd run out of those (I gave myself 65535 of them) I'd run across it with my BFG a-blazin'... those were the good ol' days

bigteethgrin.gif

I don't think you'd be able to get any more monsters on the screen than you did before (due to game engine limitations), but the framerate will most likely be a lot higher than it must've been on that 486 :eek:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah the superweapon hack was really fun. Remember playing Aliens-TC in the dark? That was really scary (well, at least back then). :D

Doom had a lot of good mods. Still does even today. Check out a bud of mine project he's been working on the last few years.

http://www.doomworld.com/skulltag/

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Cool looking mod :) If you get a chance, tell him he has a few getimagesize errors on his screenie pages :eek:

alex

I LOVED DOOM AND DOOM II AND HERETIC I d/l a shit load of wad files couple of years ago for doom and quake ..... those were the days :(

I'm pretty sure Doom will not play on win2k ..... it's dos :confused:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
This is where MS did a Good Thing™ and attempted to continue to support old DOS games in Windows 2000. I'm not sure if Doom will or will not play, but it has a good chance of it.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Grab one of the win32 ports (Zdoom, jDoom, Boom, etc.). I'm running jDoom on win2k and it runs absolutely great, even with the 3d models instead of sprites.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Downloading jDoom now. I read on the download page that one of the files had dehacked support... does this mean if I download that file I can use the superweapon hack with jDoom? :smash: