First impressions of Linux Redhat Installation

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I superglued the clip latches back on the socket, and was able to restore the Duron to working condition. Now's my opportunity to install Linux.

Since I haven't gotten any further than the installation yet, I figured I'd give my first impressions on that so far.

Pretty good. The installer allows complete customization of the installation, including allowing me to outright define the refresh frequencies of the monitor, test resolutions before I accept the settings, and select whether I want the formatter to check for bad sectors (which are inevitably present, on the drive I swapped in to install it on. It's taken a few beatings :eek: )

It's still at the "Formatting / filesystem..." screen

I'll report back in when something happens :wave:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Eh? I moved the mouse around a bit and it finished formatting / and formatted the swap space... oh well, I'm not complaining :D

It's copying files now, w00t

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Done copying files, now it's waiting to create the boot disk (I hope it will give me an error if it can't access it... that floppy drive has taken a beating too)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It hung :( Floppy drive didn't respond

Had to start over the installation

At least the drive was already formatted

it's almost through copying files already

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it finished copying and I rebooted, only to find Missing operating system as my greeting

:o

*puts the CD back in and restarts installation*

S

s4

Mandrake's installation went off without a hitch. However, my system is only 7 months old.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
hehe. He had a minor hardware issue to straighten out. ;) Should be go to go now though. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed! The hard drive was set as a slave, and you can't boot on a slave no matter what OS is on it. Period. So I set it as a master and all is well now :D

Again, thanks bunches for your help, Posty :cool:

*has an orgasm*

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
People...let me clear the air here....I WAS NOT THERE FOR ANY KIND OF ORGASM OF ANY KIND IN ANY FASHION IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. :worm: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

s4

You can boot from a slave drive if you have some type of partition manager installed. I've done it many times. I used to have two installations of windows, one on each drive.

K

krusty

See... The world is full of answers... The only thing is I hope there aren't more answers than questions coz that would be freaky... :retard:

S

s4

Now on the other hand if the drive was set to slave and it was the only drive in the machine, that would be problematic. :scared:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by s4
Now on the other hand if the drive was set to slave and it was the only drive in the machine, that would be problematic. :scared:

it WAS the only drive in the machine!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
oh, that

yeah, I attached it to the DVD-ROM drive, which is IMO a waste of an ATA66 cable, but oh well