Explain this.

DarkPrincess

One of a Kind
My friend just bought a Jeep Wrangler Sierra ir something like that. But he got an automatic. That doesn't make ANY sense to me. If you get a vehicle like that, you need a standard!

unclehobart

this is my special title
You friend has absolutely no intention to use the thing on the terrain it was designed for... ever. He/she is just another person buying a rough terrain vehicle to look cool.

S

s4

It makes perfect sense. Driving a stick in traffic is a pain in the ass. Not many people are going to be using one of the these to drive 10,000 feet above sea level. If I had the choice, I'd take the automatic every time over a stick. You ever try driving down the road with a hamburger and coke trying to drive with a stickshift? :o

Kruz

Staff member
I have to agree with S4 on this!
Driving a stick in traffic is one of the most anoying things i've ever done, and a standard trans does not give up that much over an automatic for offroading.

unclehobart

this is my special title
The concept here is : 'Why are people buying pseudo offroad military like vehicles as mere street cars and grocery fetchers?' Is this another one of those : 'No one ever went broke overestimating the American capacity for buying shit that they flat out don't need.'

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
I disagree DP. I've got a Mustang and most people would say the same thing as you "it' has to be standard". All my driving is done in the city and I'll be damned if I'm going to drive stick in stop and go traffic. Maybe your friend really likes the look of the Jeep or wants to feel safer in a bigger car/truck. I do agree with Unc in the fact that most people buy them just because every other person has one. My boss is one of them. She likes to use the 4X4 in the snow, but really it's only used maybe 4-5 times a year. I put winter tires on my car and it's just fine in the snow.

Flavio you say it's not responsive enough. First it depends on what kind of car you have. My ride has plenty response, but it's really not a factor when I'm driving in the city. I'm not going to race to the next red light.:D

Kruz

Staff member
People buy what they like!! what makes them feel good!!
No one needs a Hummer to drop the kids of at day care.....
And no one needs a 300+ HP Camaro to pick up a movie at BlockBuster.
But we do have free choice to drive whatever we want, as long as we can pay for it:D

DarkPrincess

One of a Kind
I just don't get it. You buy on off road vehicle ment to be taken out to go four wheeling and such and then you drive it in traffic all the time so you use the excuse to get an automatic? Hmmm. I like automatics becuase I have a little girl and you parents know how fun that can be on the highway. But I still tak emy ar out to get a little dirty and my friend does not have children.

BigDadday

Everday People
Last stick I had was a MG midget back when I could fit in one:D but now have a Buick GS and it's an automatic with 240 HP and a turbo so if I feel like playing I can always switch off my traction control and switch on my Power Shift to use it to play. I have and it works fine! All I can afford:(

b.gif

:wave: