End of the road for SETI?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
The only DC project I even have a remote interest in looks to be coming to a possible end. Well, if it does, then I think my time with DC projects will come to an end.

The future of SETI@home, an Internet-based distributed computing experiment to find radio signals from intelligent alien life-forms, is in serious danger as academics behind the project face a funding crisis.

Australian scientists early next year were to be given a prominent role in the project to record data from radio telescopes and distribute it to 4 million PCs volunteered to analyse it. However that plan appears set to fail along with the entire project unless organisers can raise the sponsorship SETI@home needs to survive.

SETI@home chief scientist, University of California-based Dan Werthimer, has told SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) Australia chairman, Dr Frank Stootman, that all work on SETI@home II, which would see radio data recording equipment installed at the Parkes telescope facility in NSW, had stopped until funding dollars to save the global experiment were found.

Tech-crash threatens to take down SETI@home

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
But then three days later, David Anderson seems a bit more optimistic about the future of the project.

SETI@home's director has moved to dampen fears the project is in danger of closing, claiming its chief scientist was "probably just in a pessimistic mood" when he e-mailed Australian scientists with a gloomy prognosis for its future. The director, David Anderson, told ZDNet Australia "we all have to devote a lot of our energy to raising money...sometimes it can be a bit discouraging.

SETI@home director denies funding crisis

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Too bad, but it is like looking for a one needle in all the haystacks in the world. Hopefully, someone will continue funding it.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Actually, the only reason I still do it is because the client has so many add-ons that run smoothly. Folding and Genome don't have shit that works worth a damn and half the time either one could crash and you lose the damn unit your working on.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
They don't have many addons because most of the things SETI's addons are supposed to do are built into the client anyway.

Neither SETI Cache nor SETI Driver worked very well for me when I was doing SETI.

Genome runs stable as hell on my computer. It's just the Linux client that's so damn buggy.

Also, I never did have any luck with the Folding 3.0 client when running Genome units.

dEaN

Hardware Reviewer
Hey guys haven't been around for a while because I was using my dad's rig since I was selling parts of mine and very confused..until yesterday when I got a BG7E review sample :D

Anyways, I've been using SETI for quite some time now. Don't really like Genome because it doesn't show the status like SETI does :) I've had no troubles with SETI under either Windows or Linux. Btw, Linux seems to run it quite a bit faster.

I could always go back and try Genome or F@H again though. I use these programs to check for stability and such under my test rigs a lot...

dEaN

Hardware Reviewer
I like graphical stuff :D

I'm not on a team...been asked by a few people but I've been too lazy to email them back, lol