Emergency password protection help!!!

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I need to lock windows at the desktop. Due to an evil 12 year old and a 24/7 always on connection. I'm not sure how extensive her computer knowledge is, but just to be safe, lets assume it's extensive. I have 2 different windows books, but all they offer are the cheesy kind you can opt out of with cancel. This will not be acceptable. The keyboard is cordless, but the mouse is not. I need heavy duty high level security. How do I do that?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Huge!!! That'll work! with any luck the problem won't be here after the 30 day trial period and if it is it will be worth every penny of $50.00.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
*Hugs Huge* :love:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Holy Crapamoly!! You guys are the best!

Huge, I'm really glad you have net access from work, it's really nice to have you around more again. I had major Huge-withdrawal during the moving-transition peroid.

...and s4, I will definately research the user comments. That is a great habit I need to get into....and the bad reviews are so very entertaining :D

*fluffs glitterified tin foil hat and dances around gaily* :spin:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah its weird; the first six months everything was blocked, now it's not. Now if I can get ICQ and mIRC on here... :lurk:

S

s4

one other suggestion i have is to set a password in the bios. there are two settings: one to set the password and the other to enable it. there should be a setting that says 'System Security' or something to that effect which will toggle between being able to get into the bios and being able to boot. your 12 year old sounds more like a raging monster than an intellectual type, so she probably doesn't know about shorting jumpers on the motherboard to reset the bios and password.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by s4
your 12 year old sounds more like a raging monster than an intellectual type, so she probably doesn't know about shorting jumpers on the motherboard to reset the bios and password.
Excellent suggestion!
a.) you're correct in that she is a monster
b.) just to get the case out of it's cubby hole you need to disconnect every single cable attached to the mobo/ modem/ hub
c.)since it is necessary to remove the HDD and the floppy just to get at the ram slots, I would imagine it would take a phD in engineering (or prof :D) to access the jumpers on the mobo to reset the BIOS.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions :)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
*UPDATE*

This is the utility I ended up choosing: http://www.petsyb.com

I highly recommend it. It automatically locks the computer when it sits idle for a certain amount of time. (I chose 3 min) and you can't get back to the desktop without entering the correct p/w. It also will sound an alarm and flash the screen after a set number of incorrect attempts at the p/w :D. I tried ctrl+alt+del to see if that would disable it...NOT :D. It has the option of disabling the F keys. It's extremely easy to use....and the piece of resistance is it's freeware. This thing rocks!

s4 YOU DA MAN! :beerchug:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Yeah, me too s4. I lost that proggie when the HDD failed and I wanted to reinstall it. That was very handy to use. However, I found a new free one that locks the desktop, seems to work pretty well (locked kirk out :D) it's just slightly more inconvient. It doesn't have an icon on the desktop (well, it did, but it didn't activate it) or one in the taskbar, so it has to be activated from the start menu....only a minor drawback. :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
8 character password with random numbers and letters makes my BIOS password. (8 characters is as long as it will let me choose, otherwise it'd be 16 :eek: )
16 character long password consisting of random numbers and random uppercase/lowercase letters makes my Windows password.
:cool:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by fury
8 character password with random numbers and letters makes my BIOS password. (8 characters is as long as it will let me choose, otherwise it'd be 16 :eek: )
16 character long password consisting of random numbers and random uppercase/lowercase letters makes my Windows password.
:cool:

Be careful. I've got my passwords locked up in MSWord with a password that I know, BUT, I've forgotten the upper/lowercase sequence so I can't access it. The password for passwords was written down, but I ended up losing THAT so now I'm SOL. It's a 13 character "sentence" of 1 word. SO, help!! & don't lose your passwords:retard:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by Huge
Don't tell me the evil 12 year old is still there?! :eek:
Yup :( honing her evil skills on a daily basis. Apparently her work on earth is not complete, as she has not been sucked back into the bowels of hell yet.