Effing win9x

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well I made the mistake of reinstalling win98 and it wiped out (or hid, I guess) lilo for RH. Any easy way to get it back (and no, I didn't make the emerg disk; any chance bootdisk.com would have one?

gjlussier

If I remember right, you have installed Mandrake 8? If so, the Mandrake installed created a Mandrake directory on your c: drive. This directory contains loadlin, the mandrake mini kernel, a loopback swapfile and a bat file. Run the bat file from dos and you will get into Mandrake. Once at bash prompt or wathever, type /etc/lilo, this will restore lilo.

I you have formatted your C: drive, as I suspect you did, you will find (on your Mandrake install disk1) the rawrite utility in the dosutils directory, and several linux boot floppy images in the images directory.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I don't think Mandrake installs that stuff onto C: unless you launch it from Windoze. Mine didn't. But you should still be able to pull those files off the CD and get Linux booted. If nothing else create a boot disk using rawwritewin.exe from Windoze

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The big bossman is correct; I'm running red hat 7.1. No big hurry but I'll see if I can futz with it hopefully by the wkend.

Just got home; these 18+ hr days suck gonads :(...

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
OK then. LOADLIN is your answer. The syntax can be tricky and I am not near my Linux box right now to come up with it but I will post when I get home. I have an icon on my windoze desktop that runs a batch file in DOS mode using LOADLIN to boot linux.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
OK this is the command line I have to load linux from windows in a .PIF file:

LOADLIN.EXE VMLINU~1.3-2 INITRD~1.IMG root=/dev/hda5 hdb=ide-scsi quiet

Please note the use of DOS names vs long file names and that the part which begins hdb=... is only because I have SCSI drives and you must replace root=/dev/hda5 with your appropriate boot device I.E. /dev/hda1 etc.

The first parameter after loadlin is the compressed linux kernel file and I forget what the second parameter is but you'll recognize it when you see it.

Good Luck.

The other option is to use rawwrite to create a boot diskette from a floppy.img file

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Thanks; will give it a shot sometime this week. At worst case, I'll just reinstall Linux. It's not like I had anything important there, but for future use this info will be handy.