Dual Tbirds !

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I'm actually going to build a rig around Tyan's dual T-bird board this weekend. Should be interesting.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I'm not seeing that this has to be a rack mount. Could be wrong, but we'll see. This is actually for home use by a friend.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I heard they're rack mount which will make them impossible to use in current ATX cases... I might be wrong though

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
homelan check out the thtred below one more for tbirds.
tyan says its rackmount ready. mem slots are angles and board is bigger than usual.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ASUS Announces A7M266-Dual Socket A Motherboard with AMD® Multiprocessing Technology

Taipei, Taiwan, Jun 05, 2001 - World leading technology solution manufacturer, ASUS (TSE:2357), today announced the A7M266-D Dual Socket A motherboard with support for the new AMD AthlonTM MP processor. By incorporating the AMD-760TM MP multiprocessing chipset, the A7M266-D leverages advanced 64-bit architecture to deliver a reliable multiprocessing platform for servers and workstations. "ASUS is proud to offer support for AMD's new line of Athlon® MP processors with Smart MP technology," comments Jonathan Tsang, Vice-President, ASUS.

:cool:

Outlaw69

Banned
How much would one of these dualies go for anyways?

I am going to be upgrading soon, hoping to be able to afford one of these badboys.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Yer right, Neo, that baby's rack mount. She arrived last night, and I confirmed it. She also takes registered 184 pin DDR. Don't you just love small complications.

If ya'll are interested, essencom.com has 'em in stock for about $575 plus shipping. Nice board, though. On-board U160 SCSI, dual NIC, ATA100, ATA66, 4 registered DIMM slots, on-board 4 meg video, etc. Hell of a server board, but bloody expensive.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
well it IS a server board...

I suppose dual boards marketed for the high end home user should be loads cheaper, after all, integrated U160 scsi and all 5 PCI slots having 64-bit PCI66 capability would jack the price on any board to well above $300.

For people who would use a dual board for high end gaming, the integrated Rage Pro is laughable to say the least... an expense I'd rather save for choosing an addon card of my preference. i.e. a faster one.

Without the expensive crap, a dual processor setup is not too out of reach.