Doom 3 Preview

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
You know you want to read it! :)

Ever since the Nazis in Wolfenstein 3-D screamed at the player, id has aimed to horrify. Doom III is the creepiest yet. "We want to scare people," lead designer Willits says. "You do that by surprising people. And you do that by grossing them out." To induce that level of fear, Carmack knew he had to eliminate what he refers to as "the Hanna-Barbera effect." In Road Runner cartoons, he says, you can always tell which boulder is going to fall, because it's a slightly different hue than the static background. The light doesn't look right. Until now, lighting effects in games were dictated by graphics cards in a limiting way. Games couldn't render general-purpose dynamic shadows, Carmack says, so they used light maps, static dark patches essentially painted on a surface.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/doom.html

fury

Administrator
Staff member
By ushering in the age of 3-D acceleration with Quake in 1996, Carmack all but invented the graphics card industry currently dominated by Nvidia.
Uhh, I think ATI would disagree ;)

Justintime

Something
atm Ati rule, but i know Nvidia something awfully powerful is afoot. I'd more compare a GF4MX to a FIRST generation radeon 7200 :lol: