Defragmenting a 160Gig HD...

tamago

(Ô.o) pi?
How long would that thing take!?? :eek2: Even those 80gig HD's OMG :eek: Now even imagine a RAID setup of two 160GIG HDs 320Gigs. I'm set for life right?
:spin:

TIME:?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Im affraid to defrag my 80....:scared:

Cant imagine a 160 or larger.
Wouldnt just be easier to format and reinstall :D :D

Acid

stud
I'd have to be completely filled, and depends on how fragmented. I defrag my 60 like, once a week or so. Doesn't take more than 30 minutes, but I don't time it either. I used Norton Systemworks 2002 Pro (Speed Disk) to defrag.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Using DiskKeeper might help a lot. On a 20Gig drive using Diskeeper and a NTFS partition, it takes about 10 minutes tops. Now, if you were using Linux, you wouldn't have this problem now would you. :lol:

Acid

stud
It puts all of your files in line (on your hard drive's disks) so when you go to access files, it doesn't have to jump around on the disks to find the info, cuz it's all in line :)

Think of it as a desk that messy, and a desk that's clean. Which would you rather have?

Acid

stud
Linux hates me. I changed the resolution. It doesn't like that resolution. My monitor "refresh rate error". YAY! (and i have put my video card drivers on)

And 1024x768 works fine in windows.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
My 60 gig doesn't take long at all to defrag, but that's just because I never have enough files on it to take up that much space. What makes defrags take a long time is filling up the drive and then cleaning it out, then filling it up again and cleaning it out again... all the files shifting around get left on remote parts of the drive. I don't have a whole lot of major disk activity, so I never really have to defrag. ;p