Defragging with g@h

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I defragged my computers yesterday. Normally I disable everything like my firewall, screen saver, g@h when I defrag. But yesterday I decided to attempt a defrag with g@h running on one machine. I noticed it started over a few times because the drives contents changed. Apparently every time it added another percentage to the sequence is what caused the drives contents to change. What I'm wondering is, if I were to have just let it go, would it have defragged anyway and just taken longer, or would it have quit after awhile and bitched because it had to start over too many times?

The reason I'm asking is because I just got permission to install g@h on my moms friends machine, which I have scheduled to defrag once a week in the middle of the night. This lady has only limited computer knowledge and I don't want to give her a nervous breakdown if she wakes up the morning after her comp is supposed to defrag and sees that it couldn't due to g@h.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
It, at some point, will say-"I've done this bastich over & over, but something is running in the background & scrweing everything up, would you like me to keep telling you that there's a **** up" or something to that effect. And, no, it won't finish unless nothing changes during the defrag. The best way to scandisk & defrag is in safe-mode.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
That's what I thought :( So the only way to do it would be to go over there every couple weeks and do a cache dump and a defrag...and she has a Pentium, which, I heard have semi-crappy performance with [email protected], is it really worth all that? :eh:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Unless your friend is doing some serious, and I mean SERIOUS program testing & removing, or some huge file moving(as in money laundering for the mob)she doesn't need to defrag but about every 6 weeks anyway-if that often.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Q
That's what I thought :( So the only way to do it would be to go over there every couple weeks and do a cache dump and a defrag...and she has a Pentium, which, I heard have semi-crappy performance with [email protected], is it really worth all that? :eh:

P3's aren't a whole lot slower than AMD CPUs at similar clock speeds.

You shouldn't need to defrag it more often than once a month at the shortest... going over there once a month ain't too bad, for the nice gene dumpage it will produce :smash:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Ok, first of all, shes moms friend :p ...and second of all, although she never said it, I don't think she is doing any money laundering or Beta testing, since I have been unable to persuade her from being terrorized by Juno. :sick: she pushin' 70 :D

So the next logical question is: do you think I can get a hundred genes a month out of a PIII 700 24/7?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
a hundred is pushing it... you might be able to, if you get a small enough unit on it, but that's not the best way to go about it. I'd push for a large (80+) gene that will take longer. Larger genes are more generous in credits per CPU hour than smaller ones.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Bigger units would also be better for your defrag problem.. If you went to v0.94 that doesn't use a log file you should be able to get the defrag done within the time it takes to do a sequence..
.. although you'd never be able to safegaurd where exactly the client is at when the defrag started..

See if you could set up TaskScheduler to close Genome at 7:30, the night she wants to run it. Then also schedule it to restart an hour or two later.. :)

Tweety

Just a Birdie!
Eehh...no puter (except fury's) needs a defrag more than once every 2-3 months... and since I fuxor mine up every month or so I never use it... just leave it alone and go over there and check on the client and defrag etc now and then...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I do defrag my 54 gig partition every month or so, but I reinstall Windows more often than that on my 4 gig partition most of the time, so I don't bother defragging it

Tweety

Just a Birdie!
Originally posted by Tweety
since I fuxor mine up every month or so I never use it...

hehe...I said that...and I was thinking the same about your puters... thanks for making my point....:D j/k...If you didn't I'd be surprised...it's damned easy to waste windows when playing around...:)