Dana 44 problems

jopes

Your Nightmare
Ok who knows about axles. Deanril?

My front axle was leaking oil after I found it was only 1/2 full, so I replaced all the seals, only to find a nice lake of 90w/140 on the ground the next morning. I came to figure out my front axle is bent, well sort of. if I put a jack under it I can jack it up and see movement where it is pressed into the diff housing. I think welding it could be the fix, but I am trying to figure out how to get it straight enough so it does not leak any more fluid after it is welded. Other wise it will leak for ever....

Any answers? suggestions?

Deanril

Hmmm yeah those are a pressed fit ,If Im thinking of the same part of the axle.

I believe you tortured the axle a bit too much.

I would have to think 3 options here.

#1 weld and it will seal up and drive it ,until it goes it may work just fine.

#2 replace axle

#3 take to tranny shop that specializes in axles or call ,and explain situation and see what they say,Im sure they have seen it before and have a good fix.

They may possibly rebuild or something.

jopes

Your Nightmare
I was a good boy, it was like this when I bought it.
I checked the fluid level, and it was low, so I changed it and refilled it full then I found out it was leaking. Now I have found out why.

when you put the axle shaft inside it goes in the seal, but has to push really hard on the seal to get into the diff, this causing the seal not to seal on the shaft any more.

Think welding the sucker around the tube would do it? Maybe some struting on the axle